+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings from a Meridian 508 owner

I'm Matt.

Cool Greetings from a Meridian 508 owner

Hello everyone.

I'll be honest, I've been out of the Hi-Fi scene for a long time now, but I found this forum when I was searching for any info I could find on the original Meridian 508.

I have one that I've owned personally from new, bought around '95, but it hasn't seen the light of day for the best part of about 15 years, because it developed a fault, and I just dismissed it as being too costly to repair on my current income.

From what I can find, it seems it's a relatively easy fix, so I took the huge step of listing it on eBay for someone to adopt & hopefully give new life to. It'll break my heart to see it go, but the way I see it, it's just sat in the wardrobe, not being appreciated as it should be.

I have a few other bits tucked away somewhere from when I had a terrific set-up (Arcam Delta 60, Denon DRM44, Celestion 3), but they're currently inaccessible.

Anyway, I'm not deliberately trying to plug my stuff, but I'd love to hear from anyone who might be interested.

I used to work for Cleartone Hi-fi in Manchester until they went bankrupt, and spent 4 weeks with Superfi before I got another job closer to home. I was known as 'Mr Meridian' while I was there, because I was so passionate about their products, and in awe of their innovations with the digital medium. Because of that, I sold LOTS of Meridian. I once sold an elderly chap a full 600 series system, and would've loved to have explored its capabilities more than I did.

I bought the 508 directly from Meridian, with the help of Richard Bates, who was the sales rep at the time. It was one of the few left over from when they upgraded from the CDM4 mech to the CDM12(?) and gave it 20 bit capabilities. It wasn't cheap, but it was a lot cheaper than the RRP of 1350. I sold the last one we had on clearance for 999. I even remember the guy's name.

Would be great to hear from anyone who remembers Manchester Cleartone between '92 & '96.

Thanks for reading.
    Matt
    Last edited by 1594matt; 28-03-2017 at 12:09.

I'm Neil.

Welcome to the forum
    Regards Neil

System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Matt. Welcome to AOS.

Shame about the 508. Good gear Meridian. It has a following here. I use a 507 myself.

Tell us what music you like and what you plan to do with the rest of your Hi-Fi.

There's a lot going on here, so get involved and chat with the members.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    Mr. Tact!

"when common sense, logic and plausibility are ruled out. All that remain are lies and foolishness"

Gear: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/one scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/two hefty Japanese DD TT's/hefty Japanese BD TT/smaller Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. One CD transport/3 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. One MD deck. One tuner. Two TVC pre-amps/two valve pre-amps/solid state pre-amp/passive pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Matt,

Yes, Meridian made some good gear and their CD players were always well regarded. Sorry I don't know of Cleartone in Manchester - I left there in 1972, long before the advent of CD!

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Martin.

Hi Matt. Welcome to the forum i still have a Meridian 506 which has been upgraded with a trichord clock love the sound Enjoy the forum

+ Reply to Thread