+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer vs. Music Streamer ?

I'm Dennis.

I'm really annoyed that there are so many options available, and every time this question is asked on a forum there seem to be even more names for systems discussed, and despite new attempts to derive a really good solution, that doesn't seem to happen. There is also far too much interfacing needed in many cases.

This leaves me residing on the fence, wanting it all to 'fall out' into an obvious and simple best solution, something like the Mac OS did to Windows when it appeared, simple, instinctually easy to use, efficient, neat, and error free.

Sainsburys a few years ago analysed its shampoo stock to find that they had over 35 types of shampoo available, and they thought it excessive and rationalised it down.

This is all a symptom of PC in which we all have a view, and therefore these are all equally valid.
    ("So, when the music starts, let's all have a go at designing a system children")

Well no, actually, we all have views which have very varied degrees of knowledge and expertise behind them; some know more than others and this can confer a greater ability.

Here I am with a lovely system, waiting for a resolution to all this, but I am not hopeful - look at the current state of human political interaction, conflict, little cooperation, and little sign of agreement or concensus.

I'm Grant.

Only thing i can say to that is, you dont have to fling money at it for a suitable solution. For most, it can be very much good enough to spend under £200 for solution. In some cases much less. Obviously much can depend of your level of ability technology wise. There is usually a small level of learning curve unless spending a fair bit extra to have that removed. Simplest is a cable to a dac. Streaming systems like a rpi have an element of setup envolved but once you grasp the principles its easy enough. Hell i grasped it so anyone can... i would also fling in the cheap but very good chromecast audio as well. For £30 its a surefire winner depending on what you need. Great for things like Spotify etc
    Last edited by struth; 27-03-2017 at 09:44.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Matt.

I'm beginning to think along similar lines to the OP.
    I have been using a MacMini, Audirvana & DAC for the last few years after selling my Naim CDP.
    The MacMini is beginning to slow up a bit, (2009 model) so I've been thinking of either upping the RAM from 4 to 8GB, or getting a newer (2012ish) MacMini with at least 8gb ram already in, or even ditching the Mac & going for a Bluesound Vault. This would enable me to store my existing collection on its internal 2tb disk as well as dip my toe in the water of streaming, Tidal, etc.
    Also, it's not clear (to me anyway) how the SQ from a Vault into my DAC would stack up against the SQ I'm getting from the Mac/Audirvana into the DAC.
    Really not sure which way to go at the moment, so this thread is very relevant to me.
    Matt.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Ho View Post
    Appreciate your detailed and candid response, Mike.

I suppose I don't need to use an internet connected router if I'm hooking up the NAS directly to a Windows mini computer, and can thereby minimize the PITA by avoiding the 'fecking updating'. (I'm only intending to play music in one room at present.)

I've seen Roon mentioned before, but have now looked it up and ... impressive. (But I would have to allow access to the internet for it to work properly.)

Others have praised the JRiver app. What are your thoughts on it as a user interface?
    I have a Master license of JRiver and use it on Mac and occasionally on one of my Win-machines.
    It is , to me, a good software that has grown into something that no longer serves a dedicated purpose. It's a do-it-all solution that takes some time and experience to configure down to a dedicated music player. Once there it works just fine with the complement of JRemote as a remote Control. It sounds good, is fast and flexible. But, in the end it is a solution for those that don't mind a computer in their listening space. I do...
    Therefore i mostly use JRiver today as an UPnP server to light weight renderers such as RaspberryPi's or similar.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I'm really annoyed that there are so many options available, and every time this question is asked on a forum there seem to be even more names for systems discussed, and despite new attempts to derive a really good solution, that doesn't seem to happen. There is also far too much interfacing needed in many cases.

This leaves me residing on the fence, wanting it all to 'fall out' into an obvious and simple best solution, something like the Mac OS did to Windows when it appeared, simple, instinctually easy to use, efficient, neat, and error free.

Sainsburys a few years ago analysed its shampoo stock to find that they had over 35 types of shampoo available, and they thought it excessive and rationalised it down.

This is all a symptom of PC in which we all have a view, and therefore these are all equally valid.
    ("So, when the music starts, let's all have a go at designing a system children")

Well no, actually, we all have views which have very varied degrees of knowledge and expertise behind them; some know more than others and this can confer a greater ability.

Here I am with a lovely system, waiting for a resolution to all this, but I am not hopeful - look at the current state of human political interaction, conflict, little cooperation, and little sign of agreement or concensus.
    I think that if you are very specific about your needs, standards, budget and DIY preferences (in a setting up computers sense) then the range of options drops quite quickly. IMO there is a broad time-cost-quality (pick 2) matrix at work with something like an RPi taking a bit longer to tweak out but representing great value and sounding good vs a shop-bought solution costing more, but being essentially 'plug and play' (thus saving time).

For me one of the significant advantages of an SBC (such as RPi) over a 'proper' computer is the low power consumption and the lack of fans whirring a away.

I'm Adrian.

This leaves me residing on the fence, wanting it all to 'fall out' into an obvious and simple best solution ...

... but I am not hopeful - look at the current state of human political interaction, conflict, little cooperation, and little sign of agreement or concensus.
    Yes, too true, Dennis! Some manufacturers are starting to bundle streamers, dacs and amplifiers together, but that isn't where I want to go (yet). The trouble for me is that I'm not sure spending big money is really justified, as many members of this Forum seem extremely content with far less costly solutions. Of course, I'm sure many high-end audiophiles as well as hi-fi sales guys would disapprove of low-cost (= in their minds, low-end) solutions, which is certainly understandable in the case of the latter. Only one (seemingly honest) salesman told me that he thought spending in excess of £800-1000 was not required by most mere mortals unless the other system components were of a truly extraordinary nature.
    Amplifier: Now: NAD C 315BEE; Previously: Magnum Audio A.100 Mono-block Amplifiers (2 @ 400W/8R); P.100 Pre-Amplifier; PS.100 Power Supply
    Speakers: Now: Epos Elan 15s; Previously: Celestion SL700s

CD: Linn Mimik
    DAC Streamer: Cambridge Audio CXN

I'm Dennis.

Perhaps Struth I did not make my stance clear; I do not regard myself as particularly technologically challenged, (T. Eng level), but I am resentful that I have to research products to the extent that I do, and risk beta testing them only to find them inadequate and then start again.

I am more interested in science than learning architectural implementations, and I have other things which I wish to devote my time to.

Similarly when I buy a pair of shoes I do not expect to have to research and verify the source of the leather, the dyes used, the stitching thread material, and the sole compound and adhesives used.

This problem exists in many areas of life; we have to take the word of others because we cannot become experts at everything ourselves; we have time and life limitations, and we want some pleasure/relaxation surely.

With CD players we have to accept that the designers have done their best, and we buy a complete package, and then decide if we like it, although there is a market in modifications.

I'm Mike.

Similarly when I buy a pair of shoes I do not expect to have to research and verify the source of the leather, the dyes used, the stitching thread material, and the sole compound and adhesives used.
    Hahaha!
    I appreciate that this is really a jungle for all but the most die hard IT-Audio freaks out there, like me..
    But nevertheless, when buying shoes or streaming equipment you make some very informed choices:
    It needs to fit - Your feet or your IT-Environment (Cabled/WiFi, With or without DAC/USB etc.)
    It has a cost - Pride of ownership vs DIY feelgood ( A Burmester Music Server do inflict some damage to the budget when compared with a Pi!)
    You require service for some time - ruggedness, flexibility etc (Streamers tend to age more than a computer, but on the other hand computers are quite volatile in their own way)
    Quality - Comfort or appearance, both equally valid! (Referring to both the UX and the sound quality)
    etc etc.

I'm Mike.

Less than an hour building and setting up a Pi with addon DAC and away you go, use MoOde software and you've saved yourself a fortune. MoOde is rock solid with no issues in months of use here.

Spend a few £100 on a dedicated streamer, watch the value plummet months later then they make it obsolete with a new model and different firmware.

With a Pi setup you can have almost any streaming service you wish, internet radio, your own files, all for around £100, you'll spend £450 (SoTM sms200) or £650 (mRendu) to better it, plus the cost of a standalone DAC too, oh and software running elsewhere too 😉

Bluesound Node 2 is worth looking at at around £450, reviews place it close to the two I mentioned above and an active Forum with help is handy.

The main issue with any streamer is the software, which is why I like MoOde, Tim who developed it is only a Forum post away to help solve problems, he updates/improves it regularly, and the sound quality is superb.

I run mine via my TQ Claymore amp into PMC 21 Speakers and up until recently when I tweaked my VERY expensive vinyl setup it was giving it a run for its money

I think we need to have Pi Demo unit doing the rounds if only to convince the non techies how easy it is to set up 😁
    Last edited by mikeyb; 27-03-2017 at 17:52.

I'm David.

I've recently changed from a pc source feeding a Naim Superuniti to a Melco N1A through a Chord 2Qute dac in to the Superuniti. Before I bought the Melco/Chord I took my pc and Naim to the retailers (Signals Hifi) and auditioned various combinations. What I have now far out performed using the pc as a source. Both the Melco and the Chord made significant improvements to sq. I was especially surprised at how much difference there was between the Melco and pc. If you can hear a few different examples of what you're after your ears will tell you which you prefer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast