+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer vs. Music Streamer ?

I'm Adrian.

Default Computer vs. Music Streamer ?

After some weeks of mildly inquisitive study, I now believe I grasp the rudiments of what's required of a 'typical' system configuration if I want to house WAV/FLAC files (music) on an NAS, access the music via a router linked to an "X" from a remote device (iPhone or iPad, Android phone or tablet) and play it through a DAC into a pre-amp/amp configuration leading to the speakers. Whew.

Question is: For the "X" above, why choose a computer over a music streamer?

I believe when it comes to computers, a lot of members of this Forum gravitate to Raspberry Pi's, which I suppose is partly because of the cost-benefit and fun tinkering factors, but also because of the choice of OS (Linux for example), thereby eschewing Apple and Microsoft. But are there other reasons?

And for those who've opted for music streamers, why have you done so?

I'm still up in the air about what to do, but think I'd like to avoid Mac Minis and possibly go for a Kangaroo Plus (NewEgg) or Chromebox/VivoMini (Asus) or Sirius B (Ockel).

The other day, however, an audiophile friend recommended I consider a music streamer from Aurender, which seems to fulfill the role of "X" without needing to buy a DAC or a computer, though at a higher price.

Hmmmm. I'm sure others have sat on the fence where I'm sitting now. Hence this new thread.
    Amplifier: Now: NAD C 315BEE; Previously: Magnum Audio A.100 Mono-block Amplifiers (2 @ 400W/8R); P.100 Pre-Amplifier; PS.100 Power Supply
    Speakers: Now: Epos Elan 15s; Previously: Celestion SL700s

CD: Linn Mimik
    DAC Streamer: Cambridge Audio CXN

I'm Mike.

Well, i've been through almost every concievable solution to your current situation. And to be clear i don't have a conclusive answer...
    I have tried Windows computers but they are a PITA due to the antivir and constant fecking updating, therefore MacMinis are my answer to low noise, low maintenance, high sound quality musicplayer. I also use a few RaspberryPis as endpoints but in my opinion they are best suited for the task of converting the file based audiostream to either an USB or SPDIF based audiostream. (The Pis as Music Players tends to be a frustrating user experience imo)

My last word on File Based Audio?
    Roon server native on a IntelBased QNAP, controlled by iPad/iPhone/Android, playing to RaspBerryPi Digi+ or MacMini. These last ones are called Bridge in the Roon hierarchy.

Oh, i also have a Bladelius Embla which is a few years old but still packs a massive punch in digital playback area. I regularly use it as a DAC from a MacMini Roon Bridge but also use its internal UPnP playback capability from the QNAPs built in DLNA/UPnP server capabilities.

All my music is stores on said NAS in FLAC, DSF or WAV format. (Oh and a few thousand MP3s too.. )

If i try and be wise about this it boils down to three keywords to me:
    User Inter-Face
    Sound quality is not an issue in any of my situations today and most solutions where a fee is involved should satisfy. I have yet to discover a free software solution that comes anywhere near the UX and usability of the big ones. (Aurender, Auralic, Bluesound, Sonos, Roon etc)

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    Well, i've been through almost every concievable solution to your current situation. And to be clear i don't have a conclusive answer...
    Appreciate your detailed and candid response, Mike.

I suppose I don't need to use an internet connected router if I'm hooking up the NAS directly to a Windows mini computer, and can thereby minimize the PITA by avoiding the 'fecking updating'. (I'm only intending to play music in one room at present.)

I've seen Roon mentioned before, but have now looked it up and ... impressive. (But I would have to allow access to the internet for it to work properly.)

Others have praised the JRiver app. What are your thoughts on it as a user interface?
    Amplifier: Now: NAD C 315BEE; Previously: Magnum Audio A.100 Mono-block Amplifiers (2 @ 400W/8R); P.100 Pre-Amplifier; PS.100 Power Supply

I'm gone.

I've taken an (over?) simplistic approach (as per the suggestion of Justin user211) and simply hooked up my laptop to my DAC with a USB cable.
    Music streaming services like Spotify, Tidal etc and also YouTube and internet radio are directly available.
    I think it sounds great and the available music catalogue is beyond wonderful!

I also have my CDP still hooked up but very rarely use it. My LP rig is in the process of being sold.

I remain baffled why a more complex solution is needed.
    I'm clearly missing the point!

[Contentious bit -- I also have the sneaking suspicion that a direct connection as above gives a more immediate and lively sound than going via a pukka streamer box. At least, that is my experience of hearing quite a wide variety of streaming systems in others people's homes)

I'm malcolm.

I use Vortexbox software as my NAS/streamer and am very pleased with it, easy setup and remote control via laptop, smartphone or my Squeezebox Duet. I have a Musical Fidelity V link 192 and V DAC II connected to the Vortexbox for play back plus a number of remote players, RPis with onboard DACs running PiCorePlayer and also the Duet. I wouldn't go down the computer as a music player route unless it was purely dedicated to the task and all non related stuff stripped out plus a good usb DAC attached.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Paul.

I have settled on a very simple approach to my needs

MP3 & FLAC files are on my PC, my PC is connected to an AUX input on my Amp via a HP Wireless dongle (One of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371605333445 )

Media is controlled on my PC via JRiver Media Player which works with my Android Phone and Tablet which is used as a remote control

All nice and simple and works well, with good quality sound.

Obviously the PC needs to be on, but then again it on most of the time anyway so that's not an issue for me.

Sometimes you don't need to over complicate things, unless you want to that is

Paul
    Last edited by Paul-H; 27-03-2017 at 17:19.
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Glen.

To add my thoughts. I've used streamers for years, having started with Linn DS, Majik, then Akurate. Then I used a Pi for a couple of years and now I use a microRendu streamer.
    The files are stored on a WD HDD connected to a Pi running Max2Play. This is set running LMS.
    The mR is USB only into the DAC of choice. And I use Squeezepad on the iPad, which I truly love as a programme.
    It all runs, for me at least, faultlessly! It sounds every bit as good as my Akurate did, which at the time was about £4500. I suspect it sounds better actually. Certainly a significant step up from the Pi to my ears...

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Ho View Post
    After some weeks of mildly inquisitive study,............

The other day, however, an audiophile friend recommended I consider a music streamer from Aurender, which seems to fulfill the role of "X" without needing to buy a DAC or a computer, though at a higher price.

Hmmmm. I'm sure others have sat on the fence where I'm sitting now. Hence this new thread.
    Been there, and I went eventually down the music server route and bought an Innuos Zen Mk2 which has been excellent so far. For me the advantages of having everything including the ripping all in one box controlled from a tablet application outweighed the extra cost. It also probably has more WAF (sexist?) as my wife only has to pop a CD into the drive and it's ripped and the metadata added automaically (only obscure CDs generally require intervention).

Just to say that Innuos support has been superb; when one software update didn't work correctly they connected to the server (with my permission) and sorted it remotely. That has bee the only 'glitch' so far.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    I have settled on a very simple approach to my needs

MP3 & FLAC files are on my PC, my PC is connected to an AUX input on my Amp ...
    Thanks, Paul.

I was doing things the same way for a while when my CDP was being serviced, but as soon as I got it back everything I played suddenly sounded much richer and fuller. I supposed that was due to the DAC in the CDP. So I borrowed a friend's DAC and put that between my laptop source and the amp and VOILA: a big difference. Hence this journey thus far in search of (first) my own DAC.

Having read Jerry's and Malcolm's responses above, it seems very pricey DACs aren't necessarily the only answer. Indeed, Musical Fidelity appears to pride itself on furnishing DACs that can compete on performance with high-end equipment but that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I know several members are enthusiastic about iFi Nano DACs, which are also very reasonable.

Just to complicate things a bit ... There's a lot of second hand equipment here in Hong Kong and some of it is very reasonably priced. Even high end stuff shows up in consignment centres for 25 cents on the dollar.

I'm Grant.

Unless you have a very good soundcard then a dac of sorts is advisable. The rpi,s are very good for money, and there are lots of different dacs and os,s to choose from or you can take a digi feed out to your own favourite external dac.
    You can also run a 10 metre (and maybe longer)usb repeater cable from a pc to your dac if you wish with no issues if computer is a distance away. Mine is in kitchen and it goes to my headphone dac in livingroom and uses jriver via a smartphone. Works well as does the rpi on main system.(running moode)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast