+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike New MK1 Metal Platter (For Sale)

I'm Neil.

Default Mike New MK1 Metal Platter (For Sale)

This was the second off these platters made, bought from a former Forum member and used in my previous home. Currently in this house, listening room the Funk MK1 platter works better in that the weight and scale this platter has just pushes the sound of my Tecnics 1200 into being a bit too bass heavy. Previous house had a concrete floor and this one is suspended. This platter is an excellent upgrade over the original Technics platter.

The platter has the brass inset weights to balance the platter and the quality Mike New sensor cog that others have struggled to reproduce, even copy. Mike ultimately ceased making this version in favour of a copper mat being bonded to the top. Personally I think that was a mistake. These days the Mike New platter is made from ETP.

Cosmetic condition is good but there are some marks and scuffs underneath and on the top. I don't know how the previous owner managed this below the platter but the top scuffs are as a result of the owner taping a Funk mat to it and then removing it. Ultimately using Vaseline was decided by some as being a better way.

Once a mat is in place, and I personally feel the Funk Firm mat is the best option here, any marks on the top of the platter are invisible as are the scuffs underneath.

You must have a Mike New bearing and an external PSU with the power supply removed from the inside of the Technics for this to fit properly and run correctly. Breaking will also need to be adjusted on the turntable if you want dead stop on stop, otherwise the platter continues to turn for a bit due to the weight.

I will supply a Herbies 'Way Excellent Turntable Mat' as a stop gap with the platter. Combined price is £370, that's £350 (what I paid originally) for the platter and £20 for the Herbies. Also included the two bolts required to lower the platter onto the bearing taper. I recommend you use a little Vaseline to help facilitate this as you may need to try a few times to get the platter sitting right on the bearing.

Payment Paypal gift please.

Postage I think will be about £20 and I will pack well, so nothing bad happens to the platter. I would prefer to keep this UK/Ireland only, but might supply further afield.

With the Funk fitted to show how much of the platter it covers. This isn't for sale, only posted for illustrative purposes.

Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Digging about on the forum I have found a reference to this version of the platter being 10 pounds heavier than a standard Technics platter but this may not be accurate. I personally don't own suitable weighing scales so can't weigh this.

Edit I have found a cooking scale and it just works (i thought this would be too heavy) so 4309 g is what this platter weighs- excluding any mat.
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 28-03-2017 at 17:20.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Bump

Now £330 + Postage UK/Ireland Only. Payment Paypal Gift or Bank Transfer.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

£300 + postage at cost U.K. /Ireland sale only.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    £300 + postage at cost U.K. /Ireland sale only.
    This is a bargain price for something that takes the SL1200 up another level.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Neil.

Bump
    Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

Pm sent 😉

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Pm sent ��
    Replied to
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

To answer a couple of questions.

The plastic cover that surrounds the bearing protecting the electronics must be removed for the Mike New platter to fit. If the plastic cover isn't removed the flat bottomed MN platter will just sit on the cover. The Technics platter is hollowed out underneath so it sits on over this cover.

The plastic bearing cover can be left in place, though it needs modified to fit with a Mike New bearing.

When the MN platter is fitted the electronics are not visible unless you have a bearing plate fitted which raises the bearing up enough so that the electronics underneath are visible.

Last edited by Spectral Morn; 02-05-2017 at 13:40.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Bump
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast