+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me best unipivot so I can you use my DECCA carts?

I'm Andrew.

Default Recommend me best unipivot so I can you use my DECCA carts?

I want to add a second tonearm to my Garrard 301 and I want to start using my DECCA carts. I have space for a 9" arm, maybe 10" at a push, any ideas?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hadcock obviously.

A 'leftfield' suggestion would be the Audio & Design M9BA (later known as the Keith Monks M9BA) arm. There are however H&S risks to be born in mind regarding the use of mercury in the signal path, but the adventurous could always get the detachable arm wand(s) rewired by Audo Origami, with the signal leads taken out to an external plug and socket as in the Mission 773 arm.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

If you have sufficient plinth depth, the Decca International arm. The original deep stem version with the metal detachable headshell (not the later plastic one). The deep stem houses an opposing magnet cushion for the arm to 'float' upon. Seems an odd thing, but it works very well with Decca's own carts!

These are very rare though!

(should have kept mine)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm shahrin.

never heard a Decca
    unipivots seem to be the choice arms for them
    Does enyone know if they would work in a Graham 1.5 arm? ( unipivot and damped)
    thats in case i ever get one
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for the help so far lads.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dave.

Nottingham Analogue of any vintage. All designed using various Decca cartridges.

I'm Geoff.

The Decca International is a fluid damped unipivot and of course was designed and developed specifically for use with Decca cartridges.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Charlie.

Andrew,

My advice is to find something within your budget, that allow a refurb with J7. Many people use Hadcocks (like me), but a Nottingham Analogue, Decca or Keith Monks would also be fine. Others which would work include Audiocraft AC3000 or its variants, a Schroeder (I've tried mine in a Schroeder). Not sure about a Nima, but that might work. Some used Mayware Formula 4 arms back in the day, but the effective mass on the Mayware is quite low - it was better suited to higher compliance cartridges such as the AKG P8 etc.

I paid about £160 to get my Hadcock checked and rewired back in 2013. As this was intended solely to run Deccas, I had J7 wire both earth leads into one cartridge tag.

Charlie

I'm Louis.

Graham 1.5...depends on which Decca...the lighter bodies will work ok. Jubilee, not so much.

I'm jagtar.

After trying a few unipivot tonearms including a Naim Aro, Hadcock 242SE, Mayware Formula 1V and V etc I thought the Nottingham Analogue Ace Anna 10" arm to be a very good tonearm indeed. I had a both a 12" and 10" Ace Anna on my Mentor Reference turntable but sold that combination. The 10" Aca Anna I kept after I tried it on a Pink Triangle Anniversary turntable where it really sang with a Miyabi 47 Labs cartridge and a Lyra Titan i plus others. Not sure that I would sell it because it is a lovely tonearm with a no nonsense simplicity of design and definitely can recommend it. I forgot about the Moerch UP4 or the DP6 (not a unipivot), both very good tonearms.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast