+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a tone guy or a details-retrieval guy?

I'm Alex.

Default Are you a tone guy or a details-retrieval guy?

Of course, the easy answer is 'both'. But that's easier said than done.

I keep discovering that it is very challenging to upgrade/tweak my system and make equally significant improvements in both the quality of the tone and the details retrieval. Usually the tweak/upgrade is asymmetrical. Either it improves the tone of the system, at the expense of some details retrieval, or the other way around.

And it's not only me; I've noticed similar trajectory as I'm following upgrades/tweaks that my buddies are making. Some of them tend to lean more toward favouring detail retrieval and are okay with sacrificing some of the tone density and thickness, others are more into chasing after lovely tone, even if it means some of the finer details get lost.

I'd be curious to hear what others on this fine forum think about this issue. Or, maybe it's all just a figment of my imagination? Maybe all power amps sound the same?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alan.

All power amps don't sound the same by any means.

The tone will alter dependant to some extent on how well the amp 'grips' the speakers, or to put another way how the amp responds to changing or peaky impedance of said speaker across the frequency range.

Another observation is that in general Class A amps give a purity to the sound IME, more than likely due to lower distortion.

I like to hear every detail in the recording so tend to design for lowest distortion.

I'm Martin.

Tone first for me, cannot listen to a system that is at all hard or harsh.

I think the two probably go together to an extent. It is all down to noise and distortion at end of day. The 'tone' should be dependant on the recording, not the system. As things get better the differences in the recordings become more apparent (not difference as in good or bad but just the different choices made by the musicians and the engineers, instruments, mikes, the set up, the recording space or spaces, production, post production etc).

The good sound is there on the disc or the file, the kit can only spoil it to a greater or lesser degree.

Tweaks that improve one thing at the expense of another are worthless IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Tone and timbre over forensic detail for me, and I like vocal sibilance to be bang on, not spotlit. As mentioned a lot of this is down to production and mastering rather than the system itself. Nothing will rescue a Led Zeppelin CD.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Peter.

Well, I sort of agree with both of you. Tweaks can often ruin a system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

Sorry , pressed the sent to soon.

Going from above, in my case I've reverted from an independent MC phono stage to a SUT at my detriment. As Alan pointed out, perhaps it's not the SUT that's at fault and maybe it's the Amp.

I never realised my beloved McIntosh was anything other than perfect..... but how wrong you can be.

Now looking for a replacement MC phono stage to get things into perspective.

We live and learn

Peter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.

Everything in equal measure. Synergy is what you must have between all your bits (IMO of course)
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Robert.

Detail tone AND texture / timbre for me, getting there and think it can be achieved

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Everything in equal measure. Synergy is what you must have between all your bits (IMO of course)
    I'd go along with that.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

IMO it's a lot easier to get the detail bit right than the tone and timbre. If you get the tone and timbre right then the detail is almost a given.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast