+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a tone guy or a details-retrieval guy?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm not up on DACs but there are a fair few CD players that will give you that *tone*.
    Yes, but not how I think you mean it, in terms of imbuing the sound with a rose-tinted coloration. Correct me if I'm wrong there, though...

However, what I'm referring to by 'tone' (and I think Alex is also) is a natural warmth and richness, which is very much a vital part of the sound of real instruments and voices, but often 'emasculated' by some equipment, usually of the modern variety.

It takes us back to the whole issue again of 'voicing'...

To my ears, there has unquestionably been a sea-change in the type of sound that is considered now as 'the norm' or 'correct', and reproduced by today's hi-fi equipment and speakers, compared with how things were in that respect, 20-30 years ago - and it's smack-bang in the zone of trading 'tone' for detail retrieval and some false notion of 'squeaky-clean clarity', which computer software/measurements say is 'accurate', but (discerning) human ears don't.

And for me, it's a major contributory factor as to why many find digital music replay harsh, cold, 'grey and lifeless', or whatever, simply because the majority of digital equipment today has the type of sound I've described in the previous paragraph 'designed in', simply to comply with what these days is considered commercially as 'accurate', which trust me, it isn't!

I could talk about this much more, but I'll leave it there for now.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    So if those CD players manage to retain that *tone* PLUS add intricate details that are missing from DL-103, they must be superior to the good old vintage turntable listening experience.
    Nope - now you're guilty of simplistic thinking!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Some good older CD players possess what some may describe as an 'analogue' character, which is why I mentioned Meridian and Pioneer. The Meridian 206 and Pioneer PD-S505 Precision for instance, sound remarkably pleasant. They are not the last word in extreme resolution, but not bad at all. And they are very nice to listen to.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

I think digital does detail very well but not sure about tone?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Some good older CD players possess what some may describe as an 'analogue' character...
    Indeed, but that's analogue at its best and most musically natural, not woolly, warm-sounding analogue...

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Have you ever heard a top-notch Philips TDA1541-based CDP or DAC, Jim? They have tone to die for, trust me, and can sound almost as 'analogue' as any good turntable...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    "Tone" from record playing equipment will vary as much as that from CD replay. You can achieve warm and cuddly or finely etched from either medium.

Of course you can totally mess up both and easily end up with 'thick and unrevealing' or 'screechingly harsh'!!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Have you ever heard a top-notch TDA1541-based CDP or DAC, Jim? They have tone to die for, trust me

Marco.
    I have heard some amazing DAC's but not based around a TDA1541.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nope - now you're guilty of simplistic thinking!

Marco.
    Guilty as charged.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    "Tone" from record playing equipment will vary as much as that from CD replay. You can achieve warm and cuddly or finely etched from either medium.

Of course you can totally mess up both and easily end up with 'thick and unrevealing' or 'screechingly harsh'!!
    I agree Geoff but I find tone done well from a vinyl playback system sounds better or nicer to listen too than digital. There are very complex harmonics that make up tone and I don't think digital handles this as convincingly, at least to my ear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast