+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Are you a tone guy or a details-retrieval guy?

I'm Simon.

My attitude and preference is definetely detail, if the speakers have a decent rich bass balance which a lot do anyway. That's probably why I like cyrus. Using the right cables can take off the harshness or any sharp lispiness or edginess out of the treble.

But as regard tone I always think that's something extraneous to what's needed beyond a certain point. So talking about how far you have the bass knob (if you have one) I'm probably a zero bass person or minus one or two, but my treble knob if I had one, would be at plus one or two.

Too much richness in bass tone mask the ability, for me, to hear detail as it will mask it out, also how dynamic the music can sound on and off. Since if you have rich tone always on and a subtle dynamic sound, you are less likely to hear it. So what makes music real for me is the detail and dynamics of the sound. Dynamics obviously being how on and off and quickly the music gets to a drum beat and back down again. And detail to hear all the layers well and also it brings on naturalness the more real it is. But my impression rightly or wrongly is that the tone of say a violin, doesn't have the knob at plus 4 or 5 which I know is sometimes people's preference. I'm not critisising anyone, but this detail and dynamics ideal is just my preference.

I'm Nial.

I'm an imaging and dynamics guy....tonal accuracy will come out right, generally speaking, if imaging is good - too skewed a FR and the imaging is in your face or non existent. And get these right and detail is usually sufficient unto the day.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    My attitude and preference is definetely detail, if the speakers have a decent rich bass balance which a lot do anyway. That's probably why I like cyrus. Using the right cables can take off the harshness or any sharp lispiness or edginess out of the treble.

But as regard tone I always think that's something extraneous to what's needed beyond a certain point. So talking about how far you have the bass knob (if you have one) I'm probably a zero bass person or minus one or two, but my treble knob if I had one, would be at plus one or two.

Too much richness in bass tone mask the ability, for me, to hear detail as it will mask it out, also how dynamic the music can sound on and off. Since if you have rich tone always on and a subtle dynamic sound, you are less likely to hear it. So what makes music real for me is the detail and dynamics of the sound. Dynamics obviously being how on and off and quickly the music gets to a drum beat and back down again. And detail to hear all the layers well and also it brings on naturalness the more real it is. But my impression rightly or wrongly is that the tone of say a violin, doesn't have the knob at plus 4 or 5 which I know is sometimes people's preference. I'm not critisising anyone, but this detail and dynamics ideal is just my preference.
    In real life performances when a band/orchestra is playing, one can often experience moments when certain instruments overwhelm other instruments. A dramatic crescendo can momentarily flood the overall sound, and then it is more of a gestalt experience than being able to discern and follow each individual instrument. The group sound of all instruments is greater than the mere sum of the participating parts.

If a good sound system is put in place in order to give us the illusion of listening to real music performance, the above experiences must be approximated. Meaning, there comes a point when imaging and resolution and details take a second fiddle to the overall tone of the performance.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    In real life performances when a band/orchestra is playing, one can often experience moments when certain instruments overwhelm other instruments. A dramatic crescendo can momentarily flood the overall sound, and then it is more of a gestalt experience than being able to discern and follow each individual instrument. The group sound of all instruments is greater than the mere sum of the participating parts.

If a good sound system is put in place in order to give us the illusion of listening to real music performance, the above experiences must be approximated. Meaning, there comes a point when imaging and resolution and details take a second fiddle to the overall tone of the performance.
    I took your the question of tone to mean the bass/treble tone or balance. if the sound is going to be loud in all areas or if one instrument dominates in a orchestra for a moment, that will happen regardless of whether the speaker is detailed versus offering better treble/bass tone. Its in the recording. So I think the point about detail is it makes the performance more natural because you are more likely to discern the layers when they are there in say a piece of music that doesn't have one sound dominating momentarily. E.g. an acoustic piece with guitars and other instruments and vocals. I don't think you can ever take detail to a level where it's too much, therefore, so long as it's bass and treble balanced, not either too much bass or too much treble. I don't know how detail would take a second fiddle to the bass and treble tone as it's quite different I'd say.
    Imaging to me means how the speakers image the stereo performance, so it's never out of kilter with detail or bass and treble.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    I took your the question of tone to mean the bass/treble tone or balance. if the sound is going to be loud in all areas or if one instrument dominates in a orchestra for a moment, that will happen regardless of whether the speaker is detailed versus offering better treble/bass tone. Its in the recording. So I think the point about detail is it makes the performance more natural because you are more likely to discern the layers when they are there in say a piece of music that doesn't have one sound dominating momentarily. E.g. an acoustic piece with guitars and other instruments and vocals. I don't think you can ever take detail to a level where it's too much, therefore, so long as it's bass and treble balanced, not either too much bass or too much treble. I don't know how detail would take a second fiddle to the bass and treble tone as it's quite different I'd say.
    Imaging to me means how the speakers image the stereo performance, so it's never out of kilter with detail or bass and treble.
    My definition of tone is similar to the 'tone' in visual art. The overall quality of the perceived sound. It could be dry, wet, greasy, oily, metallic, glassy, chalky, etc., etc.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Simon.

But out of interest how come in your original question you were pitting tone as you put it being the overall quality of the sound, against detail. Detail is part of the overall quality of the sound and therefore tone.

I'm Bruce.

A few years ago I tweaked my setup to present details better and I could notice certain inflections of voice or leading edge & harmonics on piano that many systems just can't reproduce. I loved it for a while, but eventually noticed that the result had given me leanness in mids (vocals and the body of violins, guitar, piano, etc.) and a frequency balance that de-emphasizes bass rhythm & tone. I more and more came to miss those things, but was not willing to give up speed, nuance, detail, and depth of soundstage. Without both, music just does not stay interesting unless listening to lo-fi. I now focus my efforts on both details & tone.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Russell.

I hear people call certain stereo pieces colored. Tubes are colored. Horns are colored. Box speakers are colored. Etc. honestly, if it sounds good to me, I not overly concerned.

But detail, to me detail needs to be evenly distributed. Overly bright, or sounding brighter than live music, is not greater detail to me, it may make detail easier to hear, but it isn't adding detail. When a man blows into his trumpet and you can hear his spit moving through the pipes! That's detail! When you hear every note the bass player is playing, and can easily discern the kick drum in a crowded mix, that is detail. On a crowded passage and you hear a violin swelling up in the background, that is detail. No need for it to be bright or brittle or boomy. If one instrument is obscuring others, that is not detail. A high midrange that makes vocals and horns sound great, but bass and drums suffer behind it, that is not detail, that is an uneven frequency response. If cymbals and flutes are air apparent but are preventing you from hearing that violin swelling in the background, that is uneven frequency response. True detail is all the way across, you are not being beat over the head with it. You can listen in, and hear deeper if you want, but you don't have to. That's the kind of detail I want.

The infamous visit to the salon when I heard the Martin Logans, I was comparing two CD players. And I played some Jethro Tull, Crest of a Naive, I think? And on the cheaper deck it sounded amazing, but on the more expensive deck, at a certain point I heard a violin swelling up in the background, I listened to this disc 10 times before leaving the house! And had just heard it on the same system in the cheaper deck , now I'm hearing this violin for the very first time. That is detail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Default Are you a tone guy or a details-retrieval guy?

Damn. I missed the damn fiddle lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Damn. I missed the damn fiddle lol
    It wound up costing me an extra grand! Danged fiddle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112