+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a tone guy or a details-retrieval guy?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    My Denon DL-103 was exactly what nudged me to originally ask this question. I've noticed that when I play the same track on Denon DL-103, and then on my digital system, the huge difference that immediately punches me in the face is *tone*! That vintage DL-103 tone is all but absent from the digital playback, but then digital seems to etch, carve in space instruments a bit sharper. So that to me reads as 'pick and choose -- you want that rich silky creamy sweet vintage tone, or you want that ultra high def details retrieval?'

Luckily, I can have both (but alas not at the same time)
    I'm not up on DACs but there are a fair few CD players that will give you that *tone*.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm not up on DACs but there are a fair few CD players that will give you that *tone*.
    Cool. Know of any TT config that would retain that *tone* while adding awesome resolution/imaging/detail retrieval? The reason I ask is because I'm not using CDs anymore, only streaming FLAC, WAV, AIFF...
    Last edited by magiccarpetride; 24-03-2017 at 23:15. Reason: added some details
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Quite right. I own some. Meridian and Pioneer for a start.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Know of any TT config that would retain that *tone* while adding awesome resolution/imaging/detail retrieval?
    There are limitless answers to that question.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Quite right. I own some. Meridian and Pioneer for a start.
    So if those CD players manage to retain that *tone* PLUS add intricate details that are missing from DL-103, they must be superior to the good old vintage turntable listening experience.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There are limitless answers to that question.
    Hit me with some highlights (I have never heard any TT configuration that approaches that unique Denon DL-103 tone, so naturally I'm very curious to learn).

Alex.

I'm Geoff.

So if those CD players manage to retain that *tone* PLUS add intricate details that are missing from DL-103, they must be superior to the good old vintage turntable listening experience.
    How would you come to offer that assumption?

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    Wise words!

R.
    Right. What pleases my ears is that fat juicy Denon DL-103 sound coupled with very fine detail retrieval. How to get there?
    Last edited by magiccarpetride; 24-03-2017 at 23:20. Reason: typo

Alex.

I'm James.

I think you need both. Without detail tone alone does not give you the nuances and micro detail you need to make a recording sound real and 'live'.

Just been listening to my system and it has both which gives a tangible reality to the music. If recordings are poorly executed or mastered missing detail can make them sound dull and lifeless. Of course you need a system with enough resolution to extract this information.

Beyond tone and detail however I look for or should I say listen for the complex harmonics that instruments and vocals can produce which adds another dimension to the tone and acoustic clues which give the music realism.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Right. What pleases my ears is that fat juicy Denon DL-103 sound coupled with very fine detail retrieval. How to get there?
    Spend more money.

Many are fond of the DL-103. I've had several, but not been quite as struck by them. I found them pleasant enough (at the price), but would far sooner use a Decca, ZYX or perhaps Koetsu.

An SPU E might suit you, if you want a big rich sweet sound with detail.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast