+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: WigWam show 2018 , AOS ROOM , Any interest ?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ah, that's interesting... I must've missed it then, as I'd have been busy in our room demonstrating the AoS system at the time, featuring either my Tannoy Lockwood Majors or Celestion 66s (2nd and 3rd Scalford shows).

Yes, I remember that pish with 'he who shall not be named', as the system he demo'd at that show was dire. One of my two mates, who were with me, commented that the sound reminded him of a 1960s radiogram!

Anyway, if you do complete your turntable in time for next year's show it would be interesting to hear it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

I think an AoS room is an excellent idea ... again. The first year I went (2011?) The AoS room was, to my ears, the 'best in show', and is the reason I joined up. TBH, I'd never even heard of AoS, and had to ask what it was! The notion of putting a cheap DJ deck with Croft amps and 40 year old wardrobes seemed bizarre at first glance, and I almost walked straight out. Then the music started ....

Lol, Peter, was it one of those 'Bloody hell, WTF's going on here?' moments, which can sometimes change how you think about hi-fi?

I can assure you that I experienced many of those building that system!

As AoS hadn't long been born, we were keen to showcase in public how good some vintage (and modified) new equipment can sound, marrying the best of old, with the best of new, but where also serious attention had been paid to system set up, in terms of equipment isolation, the mains, cable selection, etc.

And most importantly, that there *was* a viable alternative to simply just walking into a dealer and buying brand new 'off the shelf' kit (or the latest 'flavour of the month', advertised in the mags) - an approach that can usually offer superior SPPV (sound-per-pound value), and also long-term system satisfaction.

That is huge part of the AoS ethos, and it continues to this day

Here are some pics to remind you of the room in question....

I enjoyed that day very much, but didn't 'enjoy' lugging those speakers all the way down the stairs, from my listening room, and into the van we'd hired, and then after a long and uncomfortable drive, into the demo room at Scalford and back home again!!

That was a one-off occurrence, never again to be repeated!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ah, that's interesting... I must've missed it then, as I'd have been busy in our room demonstrating the AoS system at the time, featuring either my Tannoy Lockwood Majors or Celestion 66s (2nd and 3rd Scalford shows).

Yes, I remember that pish with 'he who shall not be named', as the system he demo'd at that show was dire. One of my two mates, who were with me, commented that the sound reminded him of a 1960s radiogram!

Anyway, if you do complete your turntable in time for next year's show it would be interesting to hear it

Marco.
    Hmm.. maybe it was the fourth year then because I heard both the AoS systems you describe. I remember it was all tied in with [banned named person] though and how frothy he got about the whole thing. I also remember hearing his demo and, as you say, it was widely considered as crap - even by his fan boys. The irony was that [banned named person] then chose to blame the room - the very same room that only a few weeks earlier he had been spouting on about and how he carefully chose it .
    Last edited by Marco; 27-03-2017 at 09:47. Reason: Sorry - had to remove his name, as per the rules
    Account Deleted

I know. That was truly laughable! He's not known (amongst other things) as 'The Captain of Hypocrisy' for nothing!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neil.

I think a certain other forum might be rather lively tonight.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Deleted.

Honestly, I couldn't care less - I won't see any of it.
    Account Deleted

Guys,

I've removed some non-constructive comments about details of the new direction being taken at Wigwam. I should also state that anyone with a negative agenda against WW or its new owner, found to be deliberately trolling or shit-stirring, will be banned without further warning.

Let's keep this discussion *solely* about the proposed AoS room at Scalford, or wherever the next venue may be. Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

Holy bandemonium Marconian!

In jest, of course 😎

I'm Steve.

I,m interested.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast