+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black is back - Tellurium Q Black II first impressions

I'm Marcus.

Well, I have placed my order for LS-V. The review that just came out today has me slightly worried, but the Marantz all-in-one I am using is on the smooth side, so hopefully there will be some synergy that is better than TQ Black II.
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeage View Post
    Well, I have placed my order for LS-V. The review that just came out today has me slightly worried, but [...].
    Where did you read the review ?

Ah, was this it ?
    http://theaudiophileman.com/elsdon-wonfor/
    Last edited by eisenach; 11-04-2017 at 12:16.

I'm Marcus.

Quote Originally Posted by eisenach View Post
    Where did you read the review ?

Ah, was this it ?
    http://theaudiophileman.com/elsdon-wonfor/
    Yes, that's the one. I'm not really that worried, as there is a 30 day return policy, so if it not a good match with one or the other setups, it will have to go back.
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

I'm Marcus.

OK, so I had the LS-V for several weeks. My initial thoughts were that it reminded me quite a lot of he original TQ black, but not as 'thick' sounding.
    Physically, the cable has a lot going for it, it is very slim and easy to route, nice plain black cable that does not draw attention to itself. The termination is very solid, you get the feeling it can take a lot of strain without any danger of coming loose, and the banana plugs are of very good quality, easy to fit, but make a good firm connection.

I found that with my stand-mount speakers, in comparison with the TQ Black II, the sound was just a tad less dynamic and holographic. Bass was good with both, nothing to complain about, midrange, I would say the TQ has slightly warmer touch, a feeling of more weight. They both have a 'natural' sound, nothing overblown or spotlit, I just found that cymbals had a bit more sparkle and metal (not brightness) with the TQ. Detail retreival, aside from image depth, was comparable, meaning it was very good.

With the floorstanders, I found the balance to be better suited - the natural extra oomph and warmth of those speaker matching well with the lighter tone, no boom-boom. I have the feeling it would have matched really well with my dearly departed Rega Ellicit, that simply overpowered the smaller room.

In the end, my wife was happy enough with Van Damme, so I could not justify keeping the LS-V for myself. I think for systems that might need some brightness taming, they would be a good match, certainly worth a try, and their discrete profile is a bonus.

Service from Mark Grant was absolutely top-class - no fuss made about the return, as I had given them a decent workout. I am interested in trying out the LS-XXV at some point, for now I have used some of the money to try out a Marantz PM7200 - still searching for that perfect match ...

I'm Colin.

Thank you for you comments.
    Mark is great for us to work with also a real Gent.

I'm Simon.

I'm not surprised that the telleriums sounded better Marcus. My perception is that the cables in the van damme range are just bog standard basic designed speaker wire that has been going for ages, and it's cheap to produce and doesn't have much 'design' in it. I doubt they spend much time improving it too. But from companies like chord and tellerium they are trying to get something better.

I reckon chord epic twin will be better than van damme sound wise, and i think about same price as the tellerium black 2

Is Colin's cable on the website similar to tellerium, it looks similar, and how is it designed? Out of interest.

I'm Colin.

It may look similar but it is not the material are much more interesting and No Comment on build why should I tell you or another company how it is made, no thanks. Already had designs stolen by hook or by crock so not again.

I'm Marcus.

The LS-V is nicer looking, in my opinion - it has was you would call a straightforward piece of cable profile, rounded, and it's very slim.
    The TQ has that ribbon-like, sort of flat, profile, so it is wider.

Neither sound like Van Damme, which is fine enough, but does not have the midrange or texture (most noticeable with drums) of those cables, at least to these ears.
    Of course there is a big price difference, so only the buyer can say if that is worth it to them - for me, yes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12