+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black is back - Tellurium Q Black II first impressions

I'm Marcus.

Default Black is back - Tellurium Q Black II first impressions

Way back when Tellurium Q Black first came out, it caused quite a stir - it was something quite different, but resulted in polarized opinions.
    I certainly enjoyed it, but ultimately preferred the (admittedly very expensive) Atlas Ascent, as I found it more transparent.

I feel like I have come full circle, in that I have ditched the Rega Elicit-R amplifier, and gone back to my cheap Marantz MCR-510 all-in-one - my room could not cope with the sheer power of the Rega, and I found vocals to be much clearer with the Marantz, with a tighter control of the bass. An oddity, but there you go.

Anyway, I sold the TQ Black a good while back, and have been using Van Damme Hi-Fi 4mm, and the somewhat softer presentation really suited the Marantz.

My curiosity was peaked however, when I saw the announcement of TQ Black II. I recalled the synergy between the Black and the Marantz, so I thought I would give it a shot.

First impressions are very positive - a clear step up from the Van Damme. Everything has somehow become more detailed, and yet more relaxed at the same time. There is a tangibility to instruments, that was simply not there before. Vocals have become crystal clear, but sibilance is reduced. The somewhat veiled textures of the old TQ Black have gone - drums really sound like drums, you can hear the 'skin'.
    Bass is in balance, certainly not weak, nor overly plump. The strike of a cymbal has 'metal', but with natural clarity that does not annoy.

I feel kind of bad in a way, as I was holding out for Colin Wonfor's new cables, I suspect this is still based on his designs.

No idea if this will alter over time - I'm perfectly happy with the sound as it is to be honest. I will update if anything significant changes.

In summary - this cable works great with my amp, it simply makes music and sound much more enjoyable. Worth an audition if you are in the market at that price range, it might be good for you, it might not.
    Last edited by bronzeage; 24-03-2017 at 16:27. Reason: Spelling
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

I'm Colin.

The New EWA cable is now on sale, and a review is due in the next few days. Some have been review already by Hi-fi Answers.
    To find out more go to the web site and ask about prices etc. The web page is still not complete but I am sure Alan will do it soon.

https://www.elsdonwonforaudio.com/cables

https://www.elsdonwonforaudio.com/contact

I'm Marcus.

Thanks Colin - my wife is so enamored with the 'new sound', as she puts it, she wants the same for the other rig, so I will check out the details. What is the rough equivalent of TQ Black out of your two cables?
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

I'm Colin.

I am sorry but I am biased they are all better than TQ Black and UB, but I guess since I designed both I suspect I am biased a lots, so ask one of our dealers.

I'm Marcus.

Thanks, I filled in the request form, so lets see how it goes.

I'm Marcus.

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeage View Post
    Thanks, I filled in the request form, so lets see how it goes.
    I got an automated reply, but nothing since - guess this operation is not quite ready for business yet.

Back on the TQ Black II front - it went a bit weird after a couple of days, I guess I can only describe it as over detailed, but has settled down since, maybe my hearing was off that day. It sounds great right now, going back to the Van Damme, music sounds 'synthetic', if that makes any sense. Drums sound just so.. right.

I'm Colin.

Mark Grant is taking orders now.

https://markgrant.co.uk/

I'm Marcus.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wonfor View Post
    Mark Grant is taking orders now.

https://markgrant.co.uk/
    Thanks Colin - using Mark seems like an excellent idea, never had any issues doing business with him, his construction skills are first rate.

I'm going to order some LS-V some time soon, the outcome will be more than interesting.

I'm James.

You may find TQ cables have been superseded by Colin's new design.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm tony.

Great tie up.

Have used Marks ICs/co-ax/opticals and power cables for years.

Worked my way through Marks and Colins cable hierarchy over years and put my money where my mouth is.

Lucky enough to have one of Colins amps at the heart of my system- have looked back but always returned-best by some margin audio products Ive tried.

Both proper HI FI people-enjoy your music!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast