+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paloma Faith

I'm Shaun.

Default Paloma Faith

'Do you Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful'

Musically this album is excellent with strains of Corrine Bailey Rae and Amy Winehouse. The lyrics are clever in a fairly intellectual way and the music is similar to the old 60's Dap Tones kind of thing. It is once again the production that seriously disappoints here. Instrumentally it is good with a nice recorded sound and fair ambience but the vocal is hard, glassy and strident. For my ears and my system the vocal is completely unnatural.

Altogether a very good collection of music provided one can live with the production.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post

Musically this album is excellent with strains of Corrine Bailey Rae and Amy Winehouse. The lyrics are clever in a fairly intellectual way and the music is similar to the old 60's Dap Tones kind of thing. It is once again the production that seriously disappoints here. Instrumentally it is good with a nice recorded sound and fair ambience but the vocal is hard, glassy and strident. For my ears and my system the vocal is completely unnatural.

Altogether a very good collection of music provided one can live with the production.
    I have seen her a few times on 'Later' and of course she appeared on Jool's 'Hootenany'. She has a good voice, can sing, so it is dissapointing to learn that recording is poor.

Don't quite know what you mean by "60's Dap Tones", I likened her repetoire and style as coming from the '40s and '50s.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

Yes Barry I take back what I said, I think 50's is nearer the mark. Stunning music and stunning voice. The Dap Tones are a recent band that are usually associated with a certain Sharon Jones also of 'Later' fame. Exceptional music and exceptional production. Very 50's...! Check them out at Amazon. Very recommended.

I'm Shaun.

My error once more... It is the Dap Kings...!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Yes Barry I take back what I said, I think 50's is nearer the mark. Stunning music and stunning voice. The Dap Tones are a recent band that are usually associated with a certain Sharon Jones also of 'Later' fame. Exceptional music and exceptional production. Very 50's...! Check them out at Amazon. Very recommended.
    Will do Shaun. Thanks for that.

Regards
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

This sounds like a great strap-line for the Art of Sound

+ Reply to Thread