+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Connoisseur speakers

I'm Simon.

Default Connoisseur speakers

Hello
    Can anyone tell me anything about these speakers unfortunately no picture but they are about 3' tall and cylindrical with a grey fleck material cover and a metal grill at the top with the name connoisseur on a red badge, probably dating from the 1960's, they look very cool but are they any good . If you do an image search for connoisseur vintage speakers they come up as the second picture, this seems to be the only info I have found.
    Thanks
    Simon

I'm Alan.

They look like they are probably omni-directional with that grille going around the top, so possibly a 5 inch full range driver?

Guessing but they look funky

I'm Simon.

Cheers, yes look very cool and in very good condition but don't know if they work will have a closer look today but the chap who has them knows nothing about them and had them from an auction . He also has a pair of wharfedale w3 speakers but can't find out much on them either. He also wants £400 which seems abit steep and £300 for the wharfedale.

I'm Hugh.

I remember them from 'Hi-Fi News' adverts back in the sixties. I seem to remember that they were highly regarded back them, and you can see from that picture that they were matched with decent kit (Garrard/Decca/Leak).

They'd certainly be interesting to play, but not at that price methinks.

I'm Geoff.

£400 is way over the top. Even in first rate condition, I'd see those as worth certainly no more than £150 personally and that would be as curiosity value. They are not a sought after model.

Just a small point. Can you see the drive unit? I believe these used a foam cone surround. It may well have rotted away.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

found abit more about them , they were made by A R Sugden and date to 1961/62, had another look today but the top was screwed down so could not look at the important bits.

+ Reply to Thread