+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glengoyne Distillery.

I'm Grant.

Default Glengoyne Distillery.

I had the good fortune to visit Glengoyne Distillery. The distillery had been continuously in operation since its founding in 1833 at Dumgoyne, north of Glasgow, Scotland. Glengoyne is unique in producing Highland single malt whisky matured in the Lowlands. Located upon the Highland Line, the division between the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland, Glengoyne’s stills are in the Highlands while maturing casks of whisky rest across the road in the Lowlands.

Although they used to malt their own barley, it is now bought in pre malted due to the present quantities required. Making over 1 million litres of spirit a year, it became impossible on the present site.

Here you see how the aging process darkens the whisky and how it gets less as the Angels have their share

They roll the malted barley into grist and it then goes into the mash tun with lots of heated water where sugars are extracted. This is done 3 times and the last one goes into the next batch while the first 2, called wort go to the fermentation washback tanks for a about 50 or so hrs. It is now called wash, and is about strength of strong beer, in this case about 10%abv.

It then goes to the wash still, and distills into low wines. This then goes to the final distilling stills, in this distillery they use 2 side by side. Foreshots and feints...ie the first and last of this process are drawn off and will be reused in the next batch. They are not used as whisky due to their pungency mostly.

Ours was the whisky and chocolate tour. They have a master chocolateire here too.. the chocs were awesome.

Whisky is now at about 73%abv and cask strength. It will then be stored at least 10 years here before its blended by the master.... this way you get the same single malt regularly, as every cask is slightly different. Old bourbon and sherry casks are used.

Got to try the 12, 15, 20 and as a treat for me, a 25 year old which was pretty awesome. PS its £260 a bottle lol.

Our guide was Deirdre,
    a lovely and well versed lass who took great care of me. I got an individual tour with my son and daughter as im disabled...a nice touch.

This is the distillery that Jack and Victor of Still Game went to and got sloshed my daughter asked.

the shop where you can draw off your own bottle of cask strength should you wish, or buy whisky etc.

Its a great day out and not that far from Glasgow, and there is ample parking and a quint bus stop if needed. They do various types of tour including malt master ones.

Couldn,t quite afford this one
    Last edited by struth; 18-02-2017 at 19:21.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post

This is the distillery that Jack and Victor of Still Game went to and got sloshed my daughter asked.

They got any of the Clark Gable left

I'm Gary.

Fantastic pics Grant, looks like a great day out with the family.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Brian.

Nice piccies Grant . You look right at home Did you leave the place conscious
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Grant.

Default Glengoyne Distillery.

Nae Gable left Roy.. he drank it all...damn alki...hic

Thanks Gary, Brian.. yes i was sober....ish. Lol. Had 4 big uns ..that 25 was stunning. You couldnt drink a lot of it but well maybe you could
    One of the ones the guys in place reckoned the best was the 10, which i think can be an ideal age for malt myself... so i bought a bottle...well, actually as i was buying my daghter demanded to pay. Its in a special tube with some GSA artwork on, so i might not open it for a while. Its not cheap, but its handcrafted by these guys n gals. They like to do it the slow, old fashioned way, and not directed by accountants.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Brian.

Well , that was a nice gift matey . I hope you enjoy it
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Alan.

You're making me quite jealous Grant, I've tasted 21 year old Highland Park, so the 25 year old from there must have been special.

We shall be touring Scotland later in the year so looking forward to some distillery tours

I'm Geoff.

Years ago when visiting Aberdeen University I went off with some colleagues to the Glenfarclas distillery on Speyside. Similar visitor experience to yours but one thing has stayed in my mind. There were loads of plastic footballs lying around the still. I asked if the lads had a kickabout during their breaks pointing to the footballs. Naw they're pigs, was the reply. Taken aback I attempted to defend his co-workers. Naw, he repeated, the balls, they're pigs. We send them down the pipes to clear them. They are a perfect fit!

So there!

Geoff

I'm Neil.

Nice write up Grant Looks like a fab day out.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    You're making me quite jealous Grant, I've tasted 21 year old Highland Park, so the 25 year old from there must have been special.

We shall be touring Scotland later in the year so looking forward to some distillery tours
    Think I know of only 3 down this area that do Tours... this one is the best distillery and whisky, so probably worth the visit if your in central Scotland and have an afternoon free. Other 2 are Glenkinchie over E Lothian, and Auchentochen down Clydebank way. This one is technichally a highland distillery, but only by Yards.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast