+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help with cartridge choices for firebottle ?

I'm Karl.

Default help with cartridge choices for firebottle ?

Hi guys ,
    I've dipped my toe into the 'firebottle' world and ordered one of Alans new SS phono stages after hearing all of the positive feedback.
    Seems like it will be a steal at 200 quid
    As its significantly cheaper than its bigger valve brother the 'plus' ,it has freed up some cash for a moving coil cartridge.
    I know everybody has their personal preferences here so wondering if anybody has any experience using Alans stages and what cartridges worked best with them or if it even makes a difference?
    Budget 250-300ish and i don't mind second hand if it gets me a better cart.
    I know that dynavector has good synergy with rega gear (i have a modded rp6 and brio-r ),might struggle to get a 20x2 for that budget so poss a 10x5. Any other recommendations would be great. Currently use the exact as i got it cheap after a silly cleaning incident with a one month old 2m bronze.id rather not talk about that though....its still very raw!
    cheers
    Karl
    Last edited by Bigbird; 23-03-2017 at 00:20.
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

Bigman80 Guest

Hi Karl,

You're not going to have any issues matching a cartridge to the FB-OTP. It's loading is pretty much industry standard so only your exotics would have an issue.

I'd be remiss if i didn't suggest a ZYX BLOOM if you can find one. LOMC.

Ortofon Black was advertised at £300ish on here a few days back for MM

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Karl.

Hi mate
    I actually looked at a zyx on eBay yesterday but my 300 offer was laughed off as it was brand new.worth a try though!
    I think I'm set on moving coil so the black is out of the running.
    Just thought id see peoples thoughts as someone else on here said his audio technica was amazing with the fb+ and his other cart not as good
    cheers
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

Bigman80 Guest

Ah that's a shame. I know Alan uses a VDH retipped Linn cartridge​ although the name escapes me.
    That sounds very nice. There's an Ortofon on here mc25 ? They are highly rated and widely regarded. Lots of people regret selling them.

I'll see if i can find the link. Don't fancy the Eroica ?

Bigman80 Guest

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272599367960

These are highly regarded. This one is listed as parts or broken but i cant see a problem with it.

If it's cheaper over here and you one shipped to Australia, I'm happy to help out.

I'm Karl.

thanks for the help and offer mate.
    my brother has been sending most of my stuff out here to me,records included,as it cheaper to do that than buy it over here.hifi and record prices are crazy here so everything has been coming from uk! my q acoustics speakers that i paid 350 pounds for ex display in uk ,were 1500 dollars in a shop near me. thats almost double the 500 pound rrp in england. crazy!
    I'm sure the eroica is lovely but I rekon i can do better for the money?
    i was looking at the at33 actually. i wonder if that one would unscrew from the head shell and go straight onto my rega arm?
    i shall keep my beady eye on it mate

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    thanks for the help and offer mate.
    my brother has been sending most of my stuff out here to me,records included,as it cheaper to do that than buy it over here.hifi and record prices are crazy here so everything has been coming from uk! my q acoustics speakers that i paid 350 pounds for ex display in uk ,were 1500 dollars in a shop near me. thats almost double the 500 pound rrp in england. crazy!
    I'm sure the eroica is lovely but I rekon i can do better for the money?
    i was looking at the at33 actually. i wonder if that one would unscrew from the head shell and go straight onto my rega arm?
    i shall keep my beady eye on it mate
    Ye they fit most headshells you can buy them without a headshell too.

I'm Rob.

My Hana SL sang with the Firebottle Valve phono-stage. The E series are just a little over the budget. The E series were favourably reviewed on release.
    Rob.