+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cagey's first Audio"fool" Mains Cable

I'm Kevin.

Default Cagey's first Audio"fool" Mains Cable

After all this talk about mains cables, I decided to try it myself, after all, how could 1m of fancy cable make a difference in the many Kilometres of cable leading up to my house?
    If it did not work, I could send it back.

Well, I am almost embarrassed to say it's still here. Many of you will now be laughing, but hey it's my money and it is my ears/brain combination that are telling me that the system is better with it feeding my mains regenerator.
    I can't tell you how or why, and I don't really care.

To start my experiment I contracted Mr MCRU, as I am sure he would have something suitable for my budget, and some advice to offer. He has always been down to earth and offered me good honest advice.
    He sent me a chunky metre long cable fitted with a Furutech FI-E11 copper Schuko plug, and a FURUTECH FI-11 copper IEC connector. The cable itself is (probably) the Neotech NEP-3001 III UP-OCC cable. As I am sure you will agree, not the most Audio"fool" cable you can get, but sufficiently foolish enough for a cable that won't make a blind bit of difference, right?

Wrong.

Scoff away....

Originally I got it to try between my mains regenerator and amplifier, but changing to monoblocks made this impractical, so it moved to wall to regenerator. How could this positioning make a difference when I am still using basic leads elsewhere?
    I have no idea, but I tried it. I left it in my system for a week, just listening to music. The system sounded fine. I didn't notice an immediate difference. Then I changed it back t the standard lead.
    It sounded like my stylus had picked up a load of dust. The soundstage and dynamics had flattened. I checked the stylus and it was clean. I listened to a few tracks, and swapped it back to the "foolish" lead. Ah, that's better I thought.
    This was not expectation bias, as these things don't make a difference, right?

Still not believing 100% there could be a difference, I subjected a friend to a test without telling him what I was doing and asked which he preferred. His response was "foolish". He preferred the system with the upgraded lead in place.

So what are the downsides?
    For me the additional cost reading forums is going to have.
    The AG1500 also has the connectors close together and the Furutech IEC connector does not leave much room for the female IEC plug to be fitted in the IEC socket next to the schuko socket.
    So after all of that, I have heard the difference interconnect cables can make, and now I have experienced the difference a mains cable has made.

I think I need to go and sit down and try and find the marbles I have lost....

Seriously though, if you have any doubts try it for yourself with an open mind (and clean ears!). They can make a dramatic difference (in my experience).
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

Good writeup. Him much did your cable cost ?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Kevin.

£150 posted to me in France.

I forgot to mention that it has "internal filtering inside the plug and IEC".
    It's built to a very high standard, and has changed my opinion on mains cables.
    Kevin

Bigman80 Guest

Wow ! You're a brave man taking the plunge lol.

Fair play

I'm James.

I have been using Mains cable No11 from MCRU in my system for a number of years now Kev although mine is 4mm spec for the power amp. Preamp cable is same but not quite as beefy. The Furutech plugs are great but a bit tight which I suppose is a good thing.

Glad you found it made a positive difference to your system. Many folk don't believe cables make a difference but as you found out they do!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

Nice write up Kevin . I hate to say it but '' told ya so '' I've been using aftermarket mains cables for many years and I've always been able to hear the difference .
    A few weeks ago I contacted David at MCRU and asked him to build me a cable to a budget I had . David built me a cable to that budget and when it came the first thing I noticed was the build quality . Absolutely fantastic . When I plugged it into my amp the resultant ,very audible , improvement in SQ meant that I ordered another . Again , an improvement in SQ , which has only improved with use . I will be ordering another to feed my preamp when funds become available .
    Davids mains cables are easily the best I have come across and come highly recommended from me too .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Wow ! You're a brave man taking the plunge lol.

Fair play

Not that brave when you consider I have had it for several weeks, and have only just paid for it.
    I have had to chase Mr Brook for his PayPal address to transfer the cash over.
    Kevin

I'm Brian.

Aye me too . David didn't push me for payment and gave me plenty of time to decide if the cable was suitable
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Kevin.

He must be rolling in it...
    Kevin

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    He must be rolling in it...
    Nope , my mains cables are different and not as expensive as yours matey

Still excellent though
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast