+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cagey's first Audio"fool" Mains Cable

I'm Mick.

Upgraded cables and an unswitched mains socket did it for me.

I'm Kevin.

I don't have any switched sockets in the house.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Interesting comments from Nick (lurcher), 'elsewhere', about a possible technical explanation for the efficacy of your new mains lead, even though it's being used between the wall and your regenerator:

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher300b
    I have little interest in the thread you are talking about, but I do know that MCRU sells mains regenerators, and I also know that with a lot of them he sells cables that contain the DC blocker board I make.

As to why this makes a difference I assumed the main reason was that the input of the mains regenerator is a large toroidal transformer, so is likely to suffer in the same was as any of them.
    And he goes further....

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher300b
    ...I am saying that DC in the incoming mains may be having a effect on the operation of the regenerator. It will be affecting the transformer on the input to the regenerator, this may be affecting the internal supply in the regenerator, and this may be affecting the AC that the regenerator is producing on its output....

It may also be preventing DC on the input causing the transformer in the regenerator from partly saturating and creating a slew of RF harmonics that may be getting into the output of the regenerator.
    Kevin, does the mains lead you bought from David contain the DC blocker in question?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

It has his "bespoke filters" in the plugs, but there is no sign of a DC blocker sized box.
    Kevin

Ok, then could you ask David what the filters are designed to do, and if they address DC on the mains - or maybe there's something on his website about them you could link to?

Is the mains cable you bought from him on his website?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

He won't give out details easily. It took me a while to find out what the cable was.

My mains regenerator converts AC to DC and back again. Prior to the mains regenerator my amps hummed. Since fitting it, they are silent, so the regenerator is taking care of the DC element.

I will have a look on his website and find something similar, as the cable I bought was not on there.
    Kevin

Ok, just trying to find out if what Nick said about the DC blocker is relevant to your cable. Let me know what you find.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Kevin.

It is probably close to this - https://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/...ower-lead.html but you won't get much detail from the listing.

Obviously, I don't have a UK plug, or fuse...

Personally, I don't care what people elsewhere may say. If mains did not make a difference, why do regenerators and balanced mains units exist?
    I have DC on my mains, my amp hummed. I used a DC blocker and it went away. The DC blocker "protected" one piece of kit, so I went for a mains regenerator which protects the lot.

No humming toroidals = happy Cagey.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ok, just trying to find out if what Nick said about the DC blocker is relevant to your cable. Let me know what you find.

Marco.
    The MCRU inline DC blocker is £250 which is suitable for low current devices. The one for regenerators/power amps etc. is £450.
    Too expensive for me.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

Some Info from Mr Brook:

Kevin,

Your mains lead is simple, UP-OCC copper which is the best copper ever made for mains power leads, same as Marco uses in his ultimate mains leads just a different manufacturer of the cable, yours is Neotech, Marco's is Oyaide. The wire comes from the same factory, as Furukawa are the only company in the world who make UP-OCC copper as they own the machine it comes from!

The Neotech is quite special as it uses a hybrid of silver plated and pure OCC as well as a drain wire and foil shield to act as a faraday cage to keep mains noise at the plug end not the equipment end.

Add MCRU's bespoke cable filters which are small enough to fit inside the plug end and the IEC end to stop the individual conductors (live, neutral and earth from acting as aerials picking up radio waves).

The Furutech connectors on each end are cryo treated and also use very high grade copper.

The cable is covered in acoustic braiding.

DC blockers were not requested by Kevin even though it would make his mains regenerator sound even better, I work to budgets and the figure Kevin gave me would not allow for a DC blocker mains lead which sells at £450+

Almost every mains regenerator would benefit from a dc blocker as most are basically a large transformer which usually hum or buzz because of DC on the mains, Nick's design of DC blocker stops hum and because it blocks DC from entering the mains results in improved sound quality throughout the system.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast