+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Terror attack in London

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nope. I tried, honestly. But really can't figure this out at all.
    You cannot understand that you are a member of the same species wth the same ancestral parents as someone in Africa or Iran? Or that humanity is understanding this and treating one another as your brother or sister?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    Marco, my post #56 took me so long to type that I was busy at it whilst your embargo above was published. So I hope you will not take it as a deliberate flouting of your rules. Furthermore I hope you don't find my post inherently offensive in the way you have described ("intolerant", "vulgar", "condescending", "offensive"), since it is expressed soberly and in a perfectly moderate fashion.

May I ask, though, why religion is often treated (by the religious) as a "no-go" area? It's ring-fenced, with a big "hands off" sign in front of it. It's an opinion, the same as any other. It should be subject to respectful debate and thoughtful exchange of ideas like any other. Why is it specially protected from harm? Why don't the religious embrace the opportunity to discuss it with folks who don't share their view? (And by the way, saying "because lots of people are practising Christians, and it might offend them" is not an adequate explanation).
    With respect (yes, really)
    IB
    Hi Gary,

I have no problem whatsoever with your last (well-written and expressed post), so you can relax, as that is not what I was referring to.

It was blanket, ill-considered and divisive remarks made earlier, such as "all religion is evil", and it being +1'd by folk, which I have a major problem with, as remarks such as that qualify for everything I described it as earlier, and we will not tolerate such comments being made, for reasons outlined.

So carry on, as I'm enjoying reading your (perfectly reasonable) points of view!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    You cannot understand that you are a member of the same species wth the same ancestral parents as someone in Africa or Iran? Or that humanity is understanding this and treating one another as your brother or sister?
    The "spirituality" and " atom" references baffled me.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

I have no problems with spirituality. Non whatsoever, and am inclined to believe you make your own spirit as you trudge through life. It will be this that meets you when you die. Religion has not really done anyone harm, it has been peoples lack of spirituality that has, in name of religion, or whatever you decided to use as motivation for your deeds.
    We are atoms, but very special ones, if we want to be.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Spirituality and humanity walk hand in glove. An atom has neither. We are all the same - we have the same parents, whether black, white or yellow we are brothers and sisters. Religion is about division, as are politics - divide and conquer. In a united world the powerful would fall. Industries would collapse. Look back into history... And see the future...
    I don't disagree with what you say, Adrian. The point I was trying to make is that "spirituality", when the word is used as a expression of the values and requirements of an external, all-knowing, all-good being, doesn't mean anything to me since I haven't worked-out how to believe in the existence of such a being. However, you appear to be using the word in a man-made sense - implying perhaps a desire to behave towards mankind in a fair, decent and kind way. I agree with that aspiration completely, but for me that falls into the category of emotions and ambitions I mentioned in my earlier post, which are simply the product of chemicals, electricity and magnetism. These are human constructs and belong in the physical world. My concern is to exclude the influence of mysticism.

By the way, I'm not sure we want power to crumble and industries to collapse, do we? We just want the right sort of both.
    IB

Religion is about division...
    Not when used *properly*, instead of being twisted to suit an agenda, it isn't. I've lived all of my adult life as a devoted, practicing Catholic, and I can assure you that religion, as practiced within my circles, is about anything BUT that!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Totally understand and respect your view Gary. I also appreciate that you have a heart not to want to P people off rather express how you see it, which I totally get and respect
    Yes, indeed - and *that* is essentially what I was getting at earlier. In discussions such as this, you need to show due consideration for others here whom you might be deeply insulting, and very personally too, when going 'off on a rant' about religion, however justified or not it may seem!

So, *think* about what you've typed first, and whether that's the likely effect your comments will have, before hitting the send button....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adrian.

I'm bowing out if this as it's quickly becoming about religion, a misogynistic construct of control and the most lucrative business in the world. The Vatican Bank, The private Vatican army.... As mentioned earlier, we are not allowed to question why people choose to believe in fantasy, and it's their right to do so. I have no problem with that - but any religion that puts itself above another is devisive, any religion that forbids contraception to millions of Africans who will thereby contract HIV on the basis of a myth is, in my opinion, culpable of genocide.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

Oops. I've probably just pissed someone off - but isn't that the basis of freedom of speech?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

It's obviously your carefully considered POV, Adrian, not said out of malice against anyone here.

However, let's not centre the discussion around religion, which when practiced humanely can [and indeed does] do a lot of good, but rather (if necessary) the abuse of religion, and the twisting of it to suit one's own selfish ends, with often devastating results.

There is a difference, you know, and good and evil do exist in ALL things!

The problem is MAN misusing religion, not RELIGION misusing man.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast