+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: End of upgraditis

Bigman80 Guest

Default End of upgraditis

As you know, i have been mulling over a new rig. I wanted a valve involved and i wanted my next amplifier to be my last big spend for some considerable time.

I auditioned a fair few amplifiers. I drove the Guy in Super-fi bat-shit crazy lol

I wanted to see what was new and what was on offer. I tried Denon, marantz, Arcam and Rotel amps up to a price of £1200.

So being completely thorough i also tested a DIY/Kit Class A valve amp, a dual mono and a set of hybrid valve Monoblocks.

The only thing i couldn't get my hands on was a Class A SS amp such as a Sugden etc.

So the results.

Well the stuff in Super-fi except the Arcam Class G didn't impress me. Even with £2000 speakers on. We used a Project TT carbon something or other lol

The Arcam i felt was actually good but i didn't think it was better than my existing Sony.

Class A valve and Dual mono amps were very very nice. BUT I wanted to hear the Monoblocks again. They have a bit of magic. A bit of that something special.

I realised that throughout my mind bending journey of trawling the internet for options (MingDa valve amp etc) that the answer was staring me in the face the whole time. There was a set of Monoblocks that i had heard multiple times and been amazed at every time.

Enter - Firebottle Monoblocks

I invited Alan over to test his new FB-OTP phono stage with one eye on hearing the Monos again.

Well four hours of listening to every combination we had and i arrived at the conclusion that there simply isn't a better sound at the price.

£1000 for the Monoblocks !!!. Well i just had to have them. I promptly told Alan that he couldn't take them home. So he didn't !!!!!

They are now in my listening room sounding so good it's unbelievable.

I have borrowed a passive preamp off Alan whilst mine is being made.

The TT is running through the FB-OTP and i can honestly say it's a sensational sound.

So total price £1200

I can also say with some confidence that for the price, it's a steal.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Looking good Oliver. Glad you found something that fits the bill.

Although I'm just wondering how long your "End of Upgraditis" will last?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Lol well Geoff, it'll be a while i think as I'm facing a huge pay cut at work so looks like the gravy 🚆 is over. Luckily i have managed to get everything up to such a good standard before the cuts start to hit.

Anything new like the preamp is being done on the cheap.

Bigman80 Guest

I'm Geoff.

Speakers are looking the business mate!

Shame about the pay cut. Everybody's feeling the pinch as employers pull earnings back. It's happening all round.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

I know mate. It's a pisser but what will be will be.

I'm going to make some wood speaker stands in a few weeks which will look that bollocks i think.

Good times.

I'm Andrew.

The problem with Valve gear is that it can always be upgraded. You might start tube rolling or wondering if new caps might be more beneficial. Trust me, I think upgradeiits, "may" strike back.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Speakers are looking the business mate!
    They sound sensational as well. With the lesser quality amps they struck me as a bit shouty when I first heard them so I turned the mid control down.

Driven from the monos they give a really balanced sound, they are really good quality units, helped by a fantastic front end as well.
    If I was in the market for speakers I'd be looking for these.

I'm Gary.

So pleased for you Oliver.

I'm sure Alan will come up with some new stuff to tempt you.....lol

I'm Kevin.

So if Oliver has taken your Monoblocks, what are you using now Alan?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast