+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nice looking wooden HiFi racks

I'm Kevin.

Default Nice looking wooden HiFi racks

The remaining purchase this year is likely to be a wooden HiFi rack.
    I am quite tempted by the HiFi racks podium reference, but I want a 5 tier rack which is just shy of £800

I am tempted to get a carpenter/furniture maker to make me one very similar, as I am sure it would be cheaper, and just as good.

Are there any other similar products that I am not aware of that are worthy of consideration?
    I am looking for an oak coloured one.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Nathan.

Morning Kevin.

I also refused to pay stupidly over priced money for a HIFI rack so decided to make my own.
    I had the Norstone 4 shelf unit, The same 1 as Grant s currently selling in the classifieds and used the glass shelves from that http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...racks-for-sale

I bought some 45mmx45mm American white oak from eBay and made up the below units. This cost me a fraction of what you could pay and I'm very happy with it.

I hope this gives you some more ideas!

I've made a few changes to the rack now as to me it was a little to high so i made up a couple more and added them to the side, I've now added 18mm granite to the tops resting on sorbothane pads.

I'm Shaun.

Same here, I'd love a brand new tasty looking hi-fi rack for the gear. It would have to be four tier with the power amp sat on the floor at the side as it weighs around thirty kilos. Each shelf would have to be capable of around twenty kilos. Would prefer not to have glass but a really nice pale wood. I'll keep looking.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by nuff View Post
    Morning Kevin.

I also refused to pay stupidly over priced money for a HIFI rack so decided to make my own.
    I had the Norstone 4 shelf unit, The same 1 as Grant s currently selling in the classifieds and used the glass shelves from that http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...racks-for-sale

I bought some 45mmx45mm American white oak from eBay and made up the below units. This cost me a fraction of what you could pay and I'm very happy with it.

I've made a few changes to the rack now as to me it was a little to high so i made up a couple more and added them to the side, I've now added 18mm granite to the tops resting on sorbothane pads.

Thanks for posting.
    It looks like you have done a really good job.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Dave.

Great job there nuff. You should take orders from AoS members.

I have a HiFi Racks wall shelf, but use Atacama racks with bamboo plinths. A lot less than £800, but HiFi racks stuff is well made.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by nuff View Post
    Morning Kevin.

That's just beautiful!

May I ask how much they cost you to make?
    Barry

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by SquireC View Post
    Great job there nuff. You should take orders from AoS members.

I have a HiFi Racks wall shelf, but use Atacama racks with bamboo plinths. A lot less than £800, but HiFi racks stuff is well made.
    Cheers Dave, If i had the time i would but work takes up a fair bit of my time I'm afraid

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That's just beautiful!

May I ask how much they cost you to make?
    Thanks Barry!!

I bought the front legs a while back. I think they cost about £25 delivered. The front legs are 45mm x 45mm American white oak.
    The rest of the rack is 35mm x 35mm American white oak and i bought this from an eBay seller for £42 delivered.

The glass shelves and spikes were from a Norstone rack i bought very cheap years ago on AV forums (Can't remember how cheap) Also the granite was given to me from an AoS member.

I'd say in the region of £70-£75 if you include threaded inserts, 10mm oak plugs, Fixing bolts for the glass to the oak frames.

This is the seller i bought from, He sells a lot of off cuts.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/igothelot?...p2047675.l2559
    Last edited by nuff; 22-03-2017 at 20:41. Reason: Typo

+ Reply to Thread