+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Describe differences in LP playback vs CD playback

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I absolutely agree, but my point is when you get further up the ladder (both in terms of CD players and T/Ts), and those limitations are minimised, so are the differences between good CD and good vinyl

Marco.
    I disagree as all equipment is compromised no matter how far 'up the ladder' it is. The most expensive hi-fi money can buy is still highly compromised and those values will almost certainly influence its influence on the reproduced sound. I do though think that CD is a more 'accurate' reproduction.

blackstar Guest

I think Shaun is probably far enough into the journey to make a good stab at discerning between one and the other. Judging by his equipment that is!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I disagree as all equipment is compromised no matter how far 'up the ladder' it is. The most expensive hi-fi money can buy is still highly compromised and those values will almost certainly influence its influence on the reproduced sound. I do though think that CD is a more 'accurate' reproduction.
    Lol... You're not getting what I mean!

Yes, ALL equipment is compromised and has its limitations [mine, yours, Bobby next door's, and Santa Claus'), of that there is no doubt - *BUT* the better/more capable your CD player and turntable become, and thus their compromises/limitations are minimised, subsequently the closer the sound of CD and vinyl becomes.

Your contention earlier was that CDs and LPs sound "quite different". Well, in my experience that's not the case, when the above circumstances apply. That's when it becomes obvious that some of those differences were caused by limitations inherent in the respective replay equipment, not the formats themselves.

Got it now, or should I try it again in Swahili?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Russell.

To reply to the comparison between motorcycles, I have owned around six different Ducati's over the years and I would agree with the statement made. If there ever could be a comparison it would be with digital sound
    Thanks Shawn, I thought it made sense when I wrote it....?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... You're not getting what I mean!

Yes, ALL equipment is compromised and has its limitations [mine, yours, Bobby next door's, and Santa Claus'), of that there is no doubt - *BUT* the better/more capable your CD player and turntable become, and thus their compromises/limitations are minimised, subsequently the closer the sound of CD and vinyl becomes.

Your contention earlier was that CDs and LPs sound "quite different". Well, in my experience that's not the case, when the above circumstances apply. That's when it becomes obvious some of those differences are caused by limitations inherent in the respective replay equipment, not the formats themselves.

Got it now, or should I try it again in Swahili?

Marco.
    I can concur with that.....

While my analog/digital sounds different, it's not nearly as different as it was in the past, with lesser equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I can concur with that.....

While my analog/digital sounds different, it's not nearly as different as it was in the past, with lesser equipment.
    Hallelujah! By jove, Russell's got it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Ok, now that that's (hopefully) sunk in, consider this:

If analogue/digital (CDs and LPs) don't sound nearly as different as they did in the past, since the quality of your CD player and turntable have been brought closer together, then what previously considered differences between them, which you'd attributed to the formats themselves, were actually inherent in the playback equipment...?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Shaun.

My belief here is quite simple in that your digital/analogue sound is so similar because you have subconsciously tailored your two parallel systems to sound identical. That easily explains what you are saying. I have not done that and so my two systems sound very different because that is how I want it to be. I simply do not want my digital side to sound like my analogue side, a conscious decision.

My belief here is quite simple in that your digital/analogue sound is so similar because you have subconsciously tailored your two parallel systems to sound identical. That easily explains what you are saying.
    Good point, and also a valid one. I'm sure there's an element of that in it (satisfying one's preferences), and it's something we all subconsciously do to some extent, but that's different from tailoring to be identical.

However, as I've said, I also believe that much of what we've previously attributed as being the inherent characteristics of digital/analogue, were instead inherent in the playback equipment used, *not* in the formats themselves, otherwise how do you explain how those differences/characteristics disappear, or lessen, as both your CD player and turntable are improved?

Russell has also reported this phenomenon, and I'm sure countless others have experienced it on their 'hi-fi journeys'.

If it was simply a case, as you say, of subconsciously tailoring the sound, in the way you describe, then that 'identical sound' would remain the same throughout the process of upgrading the playback equipment, rather than highlighting differences, in the way I've described, and then later being removed/lessened when the equipment gets better.

Furthermore, the very fact I can hear those differences in the first place, must surely mean that I haven't tailored the sound of my turntable and CD player to be identical, as you've implied?

Marco.

P.S Also, what makes you so sure that your conscious decision not to want your digital side to sound like your analogue side, hasn't subsequently prevented you from hearing the genuine differences between both formats?
    Main System

I'm Shaun.

Within the context of my own system there are genuine differences between the two types of reproduction and that is very definitely how I want it to be otherwise why would I have both systems...? There would be little point. For both my CD and vinyl to sound the same would be pointless. One of those systems may as well be disposed of. I do believe that there are genuine differences between the two however as I have heard differences in many systems not just my own. I still think though that compact disc is more 'accurate' when compared to vinyl. Of course though that could be that vinyl is more accurate than compact disc, only a true source would solve that one and that would have to be a 'live' performance without the aid of a PA system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast