+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Describe differences in LP playback vs CD playback

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Streaming and downloads have no soul. Other upgrades? Like cables?
    It depends what the dacs are like as no two systems are comparable digitally. I'd rather put the money towards new speakers or amps rather than spending on vinyl. It's expensive as a format too and I can get all the music I ever want on a streaming service.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    My problem with CDs (and other digital artefacts) is that they are being marketed/sold to the populace as the final frontier. Sort of like 'finally, now we all have access to the entire content, to our entire cultural heritage! It's just a two, maximum three google clicks away."

Well, I'm calling baloney on that. The way I see it, digitized content is merely a tip of the iceberg. There is an enormous body of content invisible to google. This content has never been digitized (nor will it ever be). The only time publishing houses choose to digitize some heritage content is if the digitization/packaging/marketing and distribution can be proven to be commercially viable.

That leaves a huge bottom of the pyramid in the digital darkness.

I go to my local record stores and I find tons of amazing LPs that are virtually unobtainable on google. They will never become obtainable for the above mentioned reasons.

Furthermore, even the ones that are obtainable, have been mostly extremely poorly digitized. To the point of 'why bother?' Incompetent people have proven to be phenomenally good at delivering botched CDs, hi rez formats, etc. Just because it's a no brainer to push a button and transfer analog signal to digital, doesn't mean the job is done and you can now go home. But that's how they treat it, and are allowed to get away with murder.

That's why I made a comeback to LPs -- realized that most of the precious, fulfilling content still remains buried in the pile of old used LPs.
    Nice line of argument but any darkness on a pyramid is hugely against vinyl content. And anyway if it's in darkness on vinyl, nobody is buying it or it's old hat. The way I see it, vinyl creates a kind of bridge between the people who want the music on vinyl as being some form of zenith of smooth reproduced analogue music of a source from a largely bygone era, against digital people who want and are after music now and readily available for most of almost all music , to the extent that for some audiophiles it possibly doesn't become so much about the music anymore, but it's analogue quality. Music and its availability is why we buy hi fi in the first place, otherwise there is no point substantiating expense for formats where music isn't wholly available. My dacs handle streaming, CDs and downloads, but a phono stage only a record which isn't widely available on that source.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    I can get all the music I ever want on a streaming service.
    As Darth Vader once said, 'Don't be so proud of this technological terror you have created.'

If not enough people want uncompressed music streaming the providers will go broke. That could happen. Then you are stuck with MP3. If you own a physical copy then you always have it.

Also see 'The Machine Stops' by E M Forster.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Cucumbers with bananas surely?
    I think this one is going bananas again.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Clive.

Not all music is available on streaming. Classical is very poorly catered for, which is unfortunate as vinyl isn't always kind to classical.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    CD has made me go 'Wow! I like that'
    Vinyl has made my jaw drop and think this is just awesome!
    Totally Rob!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alex.

Nice line of argument but any darkness on a pyramid is hugely against vinyl content. And anyway if it's in darkness on vinyl, nobody is buying it or it's old hat. The way I see it, vinyl creates a kind of bridge between the people who want the music on vinyl as being some form of zenith of smooth reproduced analogue music of a source from a largely bygone era, against digital people who want and are after music now and readily available for most of almost all music , to the extent that for some audiophiles it possibly doesn't become so much about the music anymore, but it's analogue quality. Music and its availability is why we buy hi fi in the first place, otherwise there is no point substantiating expense for formats where music isn't wholly available. My dacs handle streaming, CDs and downloads, but a phono stage only a record which isn't widely available on that source.
    I'm not sure if you're ever spent an afternoon browsing through the used LPs bins. There is at least (in my unscientific opinion) 90% of the material available on LPs that stand little, or no chance of ever being digitized. Now you may say "I don't give a rat's ass about those LPs!", but you my friend are not the sole inhabitant of the planet earth. There are many of us who are quite interested in listening to music recorded during the bygone eras. From the Eastern Bloc LPs that somehow made their way from behind the iron curtain, to the LPs from all corners of the world, there is a veritable treasure trove of cultural wealth. Yeah, you may only care about listening to the latest Kanye West CD streaming on Spotify, but that's not the end of the story.

This line of reasoning, btw, doesn't end with recorded music. Many other cultural artefacts, such as comic books, magazines, books, etc. remain undigitized. They cannot be found online, and even if they could be found online, the digitized copies are typically inferior, often unusable. I have many out-of-print books, magazines, music scores etc. sitting in my basement. Every year I remind myself "I should probably set aside a few weeks to digitize this and offer it to the community under the Creative Commons license." But guess what -- years are passing by, and I always have something more pressing to do. Same applies to many others scattered around the globe.

Knowing this, I think we are kidding ourselves if we stick our heads in the sand and daydream about streaming music services that offer 'all' the music in the world at our fingertips.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Dennis.

There always has been an agenda other than supply of 'our needs', on the part of large organisations which provide media.

Much of my beloved music from the early 70s was heretical, and anti corporate, and this was not favoured by large organisations.

The BBC notoriously would not play some heretical stuff which later became iconically famous, but it used in the 70s to have at least some radical programmes; John Peel, and Sounds Interesting - Steve somebody, in the 80s - Radio London Breakthrough, Mike Sparrow, and more recently Late Junction R3, but that has gone all 'Smart arses with Samplers' now.

What is played on media tends to be IMO just banal trite self agrandising and self promoting junk; the reactionary forces are at play control by those in charge, and they want the populous to be in a continual state of unawareness and numbed daily routine, just consuming that which does not 'nutrify' them.

I'm Gary.

That's why I don't quite get the advantage of vinyl and record decks as being seen by some as crucial to enjoyment of audiophile music, particularly when there are only so many old releases of music you can get on vinyl and new ones too of course, but where primarily my choice around owning an album is for the sake of the music where CDs and downloads and streaming more than tick that box.
    Digital is for music lovers. Analogue is for equipment lovers.

!!!

Obviously not true - at least, not as stated. But it's not hard to make the argument that if streaming a song, or downloading it, ticks enough boxes to keep you happy, then it's clear that all you want is to be able to hear the music - even if not at the ultimate quality. If, on the other hand, you love to be able to hold an album and read the its cover, if you love nosing around 2nd hand vinyl shops and people-watching all the other like-minded weirdos who work and browse in them, if you don't mind routinely checking your azimuth and VTA to ensure it is delivering, and if you enjoy browsing internet forums to read about cartridge compliance and effective mass, then it's clear you have bought into something much wider than just listening to music. The classic car analogy (previous page - maybe - depending on how fast I type) is apt here as well. The comparison between owning a classic car and a newer, faster, cheaper car is meaningless, because they are not delivering the same thing to their owners. One simply satisfies a need for transport, whilst the other delivers its owner into a world of sensations, recollections, historical and cultural references that go so much further than just transport.

What about non-downloading/non-streaming digital enthusiasts? Dunno - nearer to the analogue bunch maybe in that the love of artefacts and the desire to collect are still part of the pastime.
    IB

I'm Paul.

Ones Marmite and the other is Vegimite

In this digital streaming age of lossey downloads it's easy to forget just how good a CD can be.

Personally I prefer Vinyl but still get a nice surprise when I play a CD rather than stream a digital file, even lossless files loose something.
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast