+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Describe differences in LP playback vs CD playback

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Good post David.
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    The issue with CD is the fact the master has to be rendered and dithered to 16 bits. All DAW's work at 32 bits internally and most audio at 24 bit. When this 24 bit master is put on LP it translates well since it does not need bit reduction and it seems to keep its open richer sound. Only issue with LP is running time. The album needs to be 45 mins max. CD holds more audio but the 24 bit has to be dithered and then it can sound restrained and lacking dynamics. Also using compressors to make it 'hot' does not re the loudness wars. Louder with compressors always sounds better at first until you hear all the dynamics have been squashed but 99% of people dont care about that on their smart phone ear buds.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Interesting. I'm curious to know what makes you think that we live in a distorted world? Also, whose definition are we talking about when mentioning "cold clinical technically perfect digital"?

To me, nature cannot be distorted. I see nature not making any mistakes. Sound originates in nature, and thus it cannot be distorted. I know this is a philosophical statement, but nevertheless I think it is only human interpretation (engineering interpretation) that proclaims something to be distorted and something else to be 'clinical technically perfect'.
    Nature constantly makes mistakes, that's why we have evolution, to weed out the errors.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Evolution and natural selection are driven by a never-ending series of mistakes. That's what makes the natural living world actually work.
    OK, I posted before I saw this excellent response.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Fair enough. (You mean DNA doesn't have error correction? )
    It is the error correction system that results in the fatal errors.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Yes, you're right. If we all agree here, for a moment, that analogue is natural, and digital is merely contrived by human mind, then digital could be labeled, for a brief New York minute, as 'distorted'.
    Digital was not contrived by human mind it was discovered by human mind, it already existed.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Nature constantly makes mistakes...
    Yes, and you see plenty of them walking the streets every day!!

If it were up to me, I'd ensure that they never 'happened' in the first place.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, and you see plenty of them walking the streets every day!!

If it were up to me, I'd ensure that they never 'happened' in the first place.

Marco.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Good post David.
    Indeed. David (hi, mate ) is one of the 'brightest lights' I've met in the field of audio - and I truly mean that, with soldering skills that are second to none. The boy knows his stuff!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by swampy View Post
    The issue with CD is the fact the master has to be rendered and dithered to 16 bits. All DAW's work at 32 bits internally and most audio at 24 bit. When this 24 bit master is put on LP it translates well since it does not need bit reduction and it seems to keep its open richer sound. Only issue with LP is running time. The album needs to be 45 mins max. CD holds more audio but the 24 bit has to be dithered and then it can sound restrained and lacking dynamics. Also using compressors to make it 'hot' does not re the loudness wars. Louder with compressors always sounds better at first until you hear all the dynamics have been squashed but 99% of people dont care about that on their smart phone ear buds.
    And there you have it .... there are no absolutes with either format .... it's a bit of a lottery as to what has happened to the data you buy on your disc. With the the very best replay systems, some vinyl and CD recordings may approach a realistic portrayel of what was played on the day, but for the most part, the 'decision stream' made by producers, mixers, mastering bods, etc, and the enforced limitations of compromised media (such as CDs, vinyl, broadcasts, tape) leave any pretence at 'realism' in the realms of fantasy. TBH, I'm always impressed we get as close as we do with vinyl and CDs. If I was starting again today, I'd probably be downloading something like 24 bit/96KHz files (or better) as my media of choice. If nothing else, that'd certainly free up a load of space in the house

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    It is the error correction system that results in the fatal errors.
    It was a joke Shaun. I didn't know replication of DNA had any error correction mechanism. As Jerry pointed out, it is copying errors in the replication of DNA which lead to mutation, which may or may not be beneficial to the bearer.

My misunderstanding was not to see Jerry's use of "mistake" as being synonymous with "error".
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast