+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Describe differences in LP playback vs CD playback

I'm Dennis.

If both methods are error free, they would have to sound the same.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, but they aren't, and they don't. See my last post, Dennis. In hi-fi, there's no such a thing as 'error free' anything. Something always leaves a 'footprint'.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Within the context of my own system there are genuine differences between the two types of reproduction and that is very definitely how I want it to be otherwise why would I have both systems...? There would be little point. For both my CD and vinyl to sound the same would be pointless. One of those systems may as well be disposed of. I do believe that there are genuine differences between the two however as I have heard differences in many systems not just my own. I still think though that compact disc is more 'accurate' when compared to vinyl. Of course though that could be that vinyl is more accurate than compact disc, only a true source would solve that one and that would have to be a 'live' performance without the aid of a PA system.
    So when you buy a new recording, do you deliberately choose a CD or an LP, and if you do, how do you decide which one?
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    So when you buy a new recording, do you deliberately choose a CD or an LP, and if you do, how do you decide which one?
    Indeed I do Barry and it is usually based on the type of music in the recording. I do not usually listen to aggressive forms of rock music on vinyl, however I do have some King Crimson on vinyl. I do listen to some mild rock music on vinyl but generally speaking artists like Agnes Obel I would buy on vinyl, or maybe Laura Marling etc. Again, as already stated, a great deal depends on my then mood.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    One to play CDs and the other to play records, perhaps?

Why? The basic fact is you need one to play CDs, and the other to play records, but that doesn't mean that they *have* to sound markedly different. That's only happening because you want it to, and have set out specifically to achieve it

Marco.
    Totally daft statements for if they both sounded the same one would immediately be redundant. CD would rule and vinyl would be obsolete or vice versa.

I specifically want my two parallel systems to sound totally different thus justifying the need for both of them.

Unless of course one takes into account the human need for nostalgia
    Last edited by Haselsh1; 27-03-2017 at 12:25. Reason: Bright idea

I do not usually listen to aggressive forms of rock music on vinyl...
    Interesting, Shaun, may I ask why, if it's not simply a case of disliking "aggressive forms of rock music"? In which case, I presume you wouldn't listen to it on CD either?

Or are you saying that you only play music that sounds 'non-aggressive' on your turntable, and keep CD for everything else? Just trying to get a handle on your thinking process, that's all

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Totally daft statements for if they both sounded the same one would immediately be redundant. CD would rule and vinyl would be obsolete or vice versa.
    The statements I made weren't daft at all, but simply factual. Sorry, I don't understand the above. Surely it's ultimately the MUSIC that matters, on either format, not the sound being different?

As I've said, CD and vinyl sound quite similar in my system, yet neither are 'redundant'. I'm sorry, but for me that concept is preposterous.

I specifically want my two parallel systems to sound totally different thus justifying the need for both of them.
    Why, though? That's what I just don't get

I want my "two parallel systems" to 'sound' the least like anything at all. All I want to hear is the music they make. It's called 'hi-fi'.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm gone.

.... if they both sounded the same one would immediately be redundant. CD would rule and vinyl would be obsolete or vice versa.
    Yup, that pretty much is my view with digital being in the ascendant.

Unless you deliberately wish to introduce colourations, which LP playback hardware options are more than capable of delivering, far more so than digital.

Ah, yes, so that'll be it then! Your turntable is a colouration machine.

Which is fine if that's what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Unless you deliberately wish to introduce colourations, which LP playback hardware options are more than capable of delivering, far more so than digital.
    It's not a case of "deliberately"; stuff does what it does.

If you want to play records, Jerry, then you need a turntable - and the best ones (properly set up), along with pristine vinyl, reduce that coloration to the status of virtual insignificance.

Unfortunately, you gave up on them before you ever found that out!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm gone.

Actually, I've had some pretty nifty tt systems in my time.

And it is a 'deliberate' choice, coloured sources are chosen because they are preferred.
    They don't need to be accurate, just preferred.

And in my experience, even high cost cartridges differ markedly in sound - they can't all be correct! Cartridge colourations abound at all price levels.
    The same goes for turntables and arms.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast