+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrade to Wilson Benesch ARC speakers

I'm Adrian.

Default Upgrade to Wilson Benesch ARC speakers

Having upgraded my turntable and amplifier, the last on the list was the speakers, I have had a pair of Dali Ikon 6 mk2 for several years and they have done me very well, but were a bit stretched getting true reproduction with my turntable and mono-block 300B amps. So some months ago I started searching for what might work well, after many discussions and listening to speakers the manufacturer of the Renaissance RA01 amps suggested I tried the Wilson Benesch ARC's, which they regularly used.

I searched around and found a pair of demo ones that Bob Hesketh had at his shop Tavistock Audio. So a few weeks ago I went along for a listen. I took along about 8 LP's having pre-selected a track from each to listen to which would get the speakers working and I would be able to assess, top, mid, bass, soundstage, voice reproduction, separation and attack. At the same time I intended to demo some PMC speakers as well. Bob was extremely helpful, he sat me down in a chair and suggested I moved it into a similar position to my home environment, and then left me to it to change records and my scoring spreadsheet. He just kept supplying me coffee. After two and half hours of listening to the ARC's, PMC 21 and 23's my mind was made up, it had to be the ARC's. Bob agreed to hold onto them for several weeks while I sorted the funds out, and we negotiated a very good price for them.

Today I went to Tavistock Audio to collect, I got back home safely and have set up the Wilson Benesch ARC speakers. They not only look good, I think my wife will be pleased with that at least, they sound fantastic. I am going through my original listening tracks used when I listened at the shop, trouble is I get an album on and then just end up listening to more of it. So far they are scoring very high, averaging between 95-100%, and they are not even bedded in. I just cannot get over how natural sounding they are, close your eyes and they just do not exist, just the music. They work extremely well with my Renaissance RA01 300B Mono-block valve amps. I heard them at Tavistock Audio with a Naim Nait amp and they also worked well with that.

Bob gave me some great help and advice, allowed me to asses everything and was in no way pushy, a great experience compared to some hifi dealers I have been to. He also helped me out with the longer Chord Epic cables, very much appreciated. If I am tempted to do any upgrading then I will certainly be going back to Tavistock Audio and will not hesitate to recommend to my friends.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Sounds interesting. You should put some photos up Adrian.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

You've got some nice sounding gear. We all like a good perv at decent kit.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Adrian.

Default Pics

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Sounds interesting. You should put some photos up Adrian.
    I'll try and take some over the weekend and post up
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Adrian.

Default Pics

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    You've got some nice sounding gear. We all like a good perv at decent kit.
    Here are a couple of pics

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/...w=IMG_2191.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yhh78qrew..._2192.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by AJSki2fly; 02-04-2017 at 13:26.

I'm John.

Need to be logged in to Dropbox to see photos Adrian.

Maybe you have to "share" them or something.

What power output are your amps?

They are lovely but maybe not the normal speakers you see on the end of 300Bs.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Need to be logged in to Dropbox to see photos Adrian.

Maybe you have to "share" them or something.

What power output are your amps?

They are lovely but maybe not the normal speakers you see on the end of 300Bs.
    Try the links to pictures now. You should be able to see them as it is set so that anyone can see them.

The amps are 22-24 watts RMS and have plenty of punch for the speakers.

I'm John.

No, still not working.

Ah, most 300Bs I've seen are SE about 8 watts.

I take it yours are PP.

I heard these speakers on the end of a Chord 1200 power amp and they had amazing bass for the size of enclosure.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    No, still not working.

Ah, most 300Bs I've seen are SE about 8 watts.

I take it yours are PP.

I heard these speakers on the end of a Chord 1200 power amp and they had amazing bass for the size of enclosure.
    Yes PP running Electro Harmonix at the moment but next year may try Psvane, depends on brownie points with SWMBO.

The ARC's are just amazing, every record I have played so far just seems to have more to it, greater detail, and the bass as you say is surprisingly good.

+ Reply to Thread