I'm Mike.

What an absolutely pointless thread

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    LP sound like proper engaging music

CD ( Compromised Discs ) sound thin and lifeless
    Then you have a shit CD player, daftee, sorry (and same applies to anyone else who thinks the same)!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I cannot say that one sounds better than the other, they both sound quite different to each other.
    Quite different to each other, in what way, Shaun?

You know I'm a vinyl nut, *but* my T/T and CD player sound very similar, in terms of their respective sonic presentations - and experience tells me that's exactly how it should be when you've optimised the playback, using good equipment, of both LPs and CDs

I'm sorry, and whilst I know which I ultimately prefer (vinyl), I don't buy the oft mentioned notion of CD and vinyl sounding markedly different. If they do, then for me it's down to the playback equipment used not properly optimising and/or colouring their respective music formats.

The other thing too (and I don't think this applies to you) is that if your experience of listening to vinyl has been restricted solely to the playback of less than pristine secondhand records, then quite frankly, you've yet to hear what vinyl can do on a good T/T!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Then you have a shit CD player, daftee, sorry (and same applies to anyone else who thinks the same)!

Marco.
    Yup!

Very happy with my CD sound and the sound from records.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    I appreciate this won't probably be popular but rather than spending money on a deck, cables, phono stage, I'd rather add that to other upgrades, be in the modern world, and listen to digital hugely available content.
    Lol... I take it then you haven't seen not only how many turntables exist now in the modern world, but how many records are being produced and sold now in the same modern world, with LPs currently being sold in places like supermarkets, and in greater quantities than ever, to both young and old, since they did in their heyday?

With respect, Simon, I suggest that you open your eyes and witness the reality of the modern world around you, rather than your somewhat shortsighted/prejudiced view of it. Digital is not automatically 'modern' just for the sake of it, you know!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Not all music is available on streaming. Classical is very poorly catered for, which is unfortunate as vinyl isn't always kind to classical.
    In what way, Clive?

Some of the finest sounding records I own feature classical music, either original Deccas/Mercury Living Presence, etc, from the 1950s, or modern audiophile reissues of such.

Perhaps you mean in terms of surface noise, during quiet passages? That shouldn't be an issue with clean records in good condition, together with a well-set up cartridge, arm and T/T

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... I take it then you haven't seen not only how many turntables exist now in the modern world, but how many records are being produced and sold now in the same modern world, with LPs being sold in places like supermarkets, and in greater quantities than ever, to both young and old, since they did in their heyday?
    They've still got a lot of catching-up to do.

Sales of LPs in the UK in 1969: 49.2 million

Sales of LPs in the UK in 2016: 3.2 million (compared to 47.3 million CDs)

Yes, Joe, I know. However, unless you've been living on the moon recently, you can't fail to have noticed the huge resurgence in the popularity of vinyl records and T/Ts - it's all around us these days, even on some TV adverts!

I was at a show in Manchester last weekend that was totally devoted to vinyl replay, and indeed any hi-fi show you go to these days, turntables are better represented than ever.

Therefore, I'm afraid the irony is that it's only the out-of-touch fuddy-duddies who consider that T/Ts and LPs aren't a part (and a continually growing one) of the modern world. The likelihood is that CDs will become defunct long before vinyl, as streaming becomes the choice for most...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm M.

Read any of the hi-fi mag reviews of shows from around the world and there is a massoive amount of vinyl replay kit

I'm M.

sorry i mispoilt massive

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast