+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Describe differences in LP playback vs CD playback

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Haha... Ok, so what made you revise that particular, to be polite, 'error of judgement'? You seemed so adamant at the time using one was necessary to make things, erm, [insert irony smiley here] 'more real'!

Do you remember the 'little chats' we had about it in the past?

Marco.
    Yes, of course I remember!
    And no, not an error of judgement by me.
    Just a failure to comprehend on your part.

Whole long running AOS threads were devoted to it.
    Pointless to go over that ground again as to whether the recording process is sacrosanct or if the music is more important.
    We will just have to agree to disagree - ne'er the twain shall meet.

EDIT!
    -- Ooo, I've just seen a whole bundle of posts since my last one (I've been out cycling on this lovely spring day)

Ne'er the twain shall meet!¬!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    But they may not be in a room. Have any of you guys seen a recording studio or know how one works? They usually have people in separate booths all in headphones playing their individual parts which are then manipulated via a large mixing console. You are very rarely hearing a band playing in their room!
    I don't want the Berlin Philharmonic sounding as though they are all squeezed into my listening room!
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Yes, but you're talking shite!!

The fact is, they ALL do it, to varying degrees, by very nature of their design.

Yes, but that's when it's still part of the the recording process. It's not up to us (as supposed hi-fi enthusiasts, keen to faithfully reproduce what's there and nothing more) to 'equalise' the sound again at our end... Certainly not if you consider yourself as a 'purist'!!!!

You need to learn to admit when you're just plain wrong, Martin, instead of impossibly defending a factually wrong position, for the sake of arguing and not wanting to 'lose face', as it's a very bad habit of yours. It's beginning to creep into many discussions you're involved in.

Others have noticed it too, trust me, and mate, it's not an endearing trait.....

Marco.
    It isn't a wrong or right situation it is a matter of opinion. And I give shit who is 'endeared' to me or not. Anyone who is a bit pissed off that I have shot their argument down can fuck off and grow up a bit as far as I am concerned.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't want the Berlin Philharmonic sounding as though they are all squeezed into my listening room!
    Not sure what your getting at there Barry?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It isn't a wrong or right situation it is a matter of opinion.
    In this instance, I'm afraid it isn't. Anyone who claims to champion a purist approach of faithfully reproducing the sound that the left the studio, cannot sensibly simultaneously advocate using a graphic equaliser, which tailors the sound, thus achieves precisely the opposite.

That's a fact, I'm afraid, whether you like it or not, and so continuing to deny it just makes you look silly.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

In this instance, I'm afraid it isn't. Anyone who claims to champion a purist approach of faithfully reproducing the sound that the left the studio, cannot sensibly simultaneously advocate using a graphic equaliser, which tailors the sound, thus achieves precisely the opposite.

That's a fact, I'm afraid, whether you like it or not, and so continuing to deny it just makes you look silly.

Marco.
    Ah, but therein lies your error.

To paraphrase your statement ... "faithfully reproducing the sound that the left the studio" ... I would amend to "faithfully reproducing the sound that was heard in the studio"

Most recordings, especially more modern ones, are pretty damn good. They don't need fooling around with.
    (Remember here, that as a classical listener I have an "Abso!ute Sound" to compare with - that's where they got the name of the mag from, right!).
    But many older / non-western recordings that capture fantastic performances are a right dogs dinner tonally - muffled, screechy, both.
    A bit of equalising can turn an unlistenable mess into an acceptably listenable experience, which is actually much closer to the sound you would have heard in the concert hall.

That's it. Simple enough. And well worth doing, imo.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    But they may not be in a room. Have any of you guys seen a recording studio or know how one works? They usually have people in separate booths all in headphones playing their individual parts which are then manipulated via a large mixing console. You are very rarely hearing a band playing in their room!
    If I am listen to a recording of, say, the Berlin Philharmonic I want to hear the venue in which it was recorded, regardless of if that is a recording studio or a concert hall. I certainly don't want it to sound as though they are all squeezed into my listening room.

It was the late Peter Walker of Quad who said that "somewhere around and beyond the plane of your speakers, the walls of your listening room should 'disappear' and effectively be replaced by those of the recording venue."

That is what I meant by "precisely": I don't want things to sound as if the performers are playing in my room. I want to be transported to the venue where the recording was made and hear them there.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ah, but therein lies your error.

To paraphrase your statement ... "faithfully reproducing the sound that the left the studio" ... I would amend to "faithfully reproducing the sound that was heard in the studio"
    Fair enough, Jerry, but we're arguing over semantics. You know full well the point I'm making.

A bit of equalising can turn an unlistenable mess into an acceptably listenable experience, which is actually much closer to the sound you would have heard in the concert hall.

That's it. Simple enough. And well worth doing, imo.
    That's all fair enough, and I have no argument about that, if that's what you want to do and consider improves matters and your enjoyment of the music.

However, you cannot, on one hand, champion faithfulness to the recording, and on the other, advocate the use of a graphic equaliser, which fundamentally changes it. It's as simple as that.

It's a total dichotomy, and the person guilty of stating it should have the gumption to admit that.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Fair enough, Jerry, but we're arguing over semantics. You know full well the point I'm making.

That's all fair enough, and I have no argument about that, if that's what you want to do and consider improves matters and your enjoyment of the music.

However, you cannot, on one hand, champion faithfulness to the recording, and on the other, advocate the use of a graphic equaliser, which fundamentally changes it. It's as simple as that.

It's a total dichotomy, and the person guilty of that should have the gumption to admit it.

Marco.
    Errr... but I think I have made it quite plain that I don't "champion faithfulness to the recording" - my loyalty is to the music and the musicians, not the recording engineers and the processes they used.
    As I said, though, most recordings are good enough and are best left untampered with. But some recordings simply do not do any sort of justice to the recorded event.

I am not, though, advocating changing the recordings themselves - I agree they should remain sacrosanct - but once input into your audio system I think the worst "recording culprits" are fair game to be made more listenable and accurate.

Lol... Other than the issue of semantics, I wasn't referring to you!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast