+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Describe differences in LP playback vs CD playback

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Some small signal correction to account for room/speaker deficiencies is actually taking you closer to the recording - albeit with some trade off. I'm not talking about setting it in smiley face config to get some boom n tizz going.
    FFS, it doesn't matter how small the adjustments are!!

Even if you defeat the controls, regardless, the signal is still passing through a whole load of unnecessary internal components (most likely of poor quality, plus the extra cables needed to make it work), and with it grossly distorting the music signal, which you claim to want to faithfully preserve!

And *that* is completely at odds with following the purist approach you were championing earlier. There is no disputing that fact. End of.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The problem with graphic equalisers, especially those having many narrow-bandwith adjustments, each with a steep roll-off characteristic (18 or 24dB/octave), is the mess they make of the overall phase response. I would only consider using one as a last resort.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    FFS, it doesn't matter how small the adjustments are!!

Even if you defeat the controls, regardless, the signal is still passing through a whole load of unnecessary internal components (most likely of poor quality, and including extra cables), and with it grossly distorting the music signal, which you claim to want to faithfully preserve!

And that is completely at odds with following the purist approach you were championing earlier. End of.

Marco.
    No it isn't and I've explained why. Okay if the equalizer is crap and introduces loads of distortion then I agree but that depends on the equalizer. If they were all as distorted as you say how bad would studio recordings be since they will go through a shitload of them in there?

Agree with Barry it would be a last resort, why add anything that you don't need to?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Exactly - and even then it's questionable.

Graphic equalisers, quite simply, have no place in a well-sorted high-end hi-fi system. And anyone who thinks differently, certainly isn't someone who wants to hear recordings that qualify as faithful representations of the sound that left the studio.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Exactly - and even then it's questionable.

Graphic equalisers, quite simply, have no place in a well-sorted high-end hi-fi system. And anyone who thinks differently, certainly isn't someone who wants to hear recordings that qualify as faithful representations of the sound that left the studio.

Marco.
    Agreed - been there done that

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No it isn't and I've explained why.
    Yes, but you're talking shite!!

Okay if the equalizer is crap and introduces loads of distortion then I agree but that depends on the equalizer.
    The fact is, they ALL do it, to varying degrees, by very nature of their design.

If they were all as distorted as you say how bad would studio recordings be since they will go through a shitload of them in there?
    Yes, but that's when it's still part of the the recording process. It's not up to us (as supposed hi-fi enthusiasts, keen to faithfully reproduce what's there and nothing more) to 'equalise' the sound again at our end... Certainly not if you consider yourself as a 'purist'!!!!

You need to learn to admit when you're just plain wrong, Martin, instead of impossibly defending a factually wrong position, for the sake of arguing and not wanting to 'lose face', as it's a very bad habit of yours, and beginning to creep into many discussions you're involved in.

Others have noticed it too, trust me, and mate, it's not an endearing trait, neither is pigheaded obstinance.....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Ive got a whack of tone controls now
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Well-designed tone controls, hard-wired into the circuit of an existing quality amplifier, are a different thing from employing the use of an external graphic EQ.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Tone controls can be useful, but only if they are used judiciously (producing no more than 1 - 2dB lift or cut over a wide frequency band). I always thought the 'Tilt' control of the Quad 44 and later preamps was a useful feature. With a particular 'thick - sounding' record (Shirley Collins 'For the Roses'), a 1dB upward tilt of the response, swinging around 1kHz, helped. But it not a panacea, nor is the use of a graphic equaliser.

These days the gear I use is devoid of any tone controls, and I don't miss them.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Mine has loads. Seem as you say to work ok with a single notch turn well on occasion
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast