+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Describe differences in LP playback vs CD playback

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    We live in a distorted world and we somehow feel more comfortable with this than cold clinical technically perfect digital.
    Interesting. I'm curious to know what makes you think that we live in a distorted world? Also, whose definition are we talking about when mentioning "cold clinical technically perfect digital"?

To me, nature cannot be distorted. I see nature not making any mistakes. Sound originates in nature, and thus it cannot be distorted. I know this is a philosophical statement, but nevertheless I think it is only human interpretation (engineering interpretation) that proclaims something to be distorted and something else to be 'clinical technically perfect'.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    To me, nature cannot be distorted. I see nature not making any mistakes.
    Evolution and natural selection are driven by a never-ending series of mistakes. That's what makes the natural living world actually work.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Evolution and natural selection are driven by a never-ending series of mistakes. That's what makes the natural living world actually work.
    "a never-ending series of mistakes" should read "a never-ending series of minor adaptations, or changes". If the changes were in fact 'mistakes' they would be of no advantage to the survival of those that bore them, and they would die out.
    Barry

I'm gone.

Mistakes in the copying of DNA are what drives evolution.
    The failures are just as important as the successes. They are what breed success.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Mistakes in the copying of DNA is what drives evolution.
    The failures, or mistakes, are just as important as the successes. It is what breeds success.
    Fair enough. (You mean DNA doesn't have error correction? )
    Barry

I'm Alex.

I think the concept of evolutionary mistakes is an imputation. This imputation is coming from a very limited viewpoint.

I have yet to witness nature make even the slightest mistake. But that's just me.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm gone.

I think the concept of evolutionary mistakes is an imputation. This imputation is coming from a very limited viewpoint.

I have yet to witness nature make even the slightest mistake. But that's just me.
    Yes, I can see that viewpoint as well.

Whilst the DNA copying is sometimes 'wrong', it is that wrongness that actually allows species to survive in a changing world - so in a way they are not mistakes at all!

I'm Geoff.

Some might argue that the presence of human life shows that nature definitely does make mistakes!!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed - and some of the vermin in existence that sadly are allowed to breed!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Interesting. I'm curious to know what makes you think that we live in a distorted world? Also, whose definition are we talking about when mentioning "cold clinical technically perfect digital"?

To me, nature cannot be distorted. I see nature not making any mistakes. Sound originates in nature, and thus it cannot be distorted. I know this is a philosophical statement, but nevertheless I think it is only human interpretation (engineering interpretation) that proclaims something to be distorted and something else to be 'clinical technically perfect'.
    Think you would have to start another post to cover distortion in nature. Moving away a bit from your LP vs CD playback post me thinks?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast