+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A New CD Player in this day and age?

I'm Chris.

Default A New CD Player in this day and age?

Hi Guys,

I hope this will be of help to anyone who is considering this question but don't want to ditch their CDs or get into ripping them to a network drive.

So having sold my old Denon CD player and getting musical (for clarification!) withdrawal symptoms and not being sure what to get I decided to speak to HiFi Dave and my friend DSJR and get some advice on a new CD player...well they probably thought it was more like extended counselling but there you go.

To start off with I considered 2nd hand Linn Genki's and Naim CD5s but was worried about the lack of support and non availability of replacement transport mechanisms and laser assemblies for decks that were over 10 years old. I also considered streamers but was put off by some stories of less than brilliant control Apps and software bugs etc and good ones it seems are not cheap.

So in this post CD world what to get? Seemed little point in spending a lot on a medium that is being steadily supplanted by downloads and streaming and in any case I hadn't got a lot to spend. Well HiFi Dave and DSJR both recommended the Rega Apollo R to me with HiFi Dave saying that although it has been out since 2011 there was still nothing to beat it this side of a Rega Saturn R or unless you spent 3-4 times as much.

So although there is expected to be a new Apollo out later this year to match the new Brio and being an impatient chap and not having to visually match it with any of my gear I couldn't wait and pulled the trigger and I am delighted with its sound. I am using it with Klotz MC5000 ICs I got from Brian a while back through an NVA P50 pre-amp with Crown D60 power amp and Rega RS3s and it boogies/rocks which my last CD player didn't so I just wanted to say thanks to Hifi Dave and DSJR for their patience and advice and to HiFi Dave for a great deal and service.

I should add that I am just a happy customer and that this is a shill free zone!

cheers

Chris

I'm Grant.

Always a helpful guy is hifi dave.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread