I've finished my week or so listening to the loan Firebottle Plus MM/MC. So what do I think.

For me, it was like watching a precocious choirboy who sits in the front of the pew before the service and you just want to slap the little bastard ... then the little sod stands up and sings, and just takes your breath away.

First the power supply going around with the loan unit is horrible. You need to be careful where you place it, as if it's too close to your Hi-Fi it will cause an awful hum. In fact, when nothing was playing there was always a hum. I didn't find it annoying (once I got the PSU in a sweet spot) but it was there.

But as soon as the needle hit the groove I was blown away. The Firebottle Plus just sings beautifully. There is such clarity and realism; forgive the cliche but it's like you're in the room with the artists/performers. There is a delicacy and beauty that is just wonderful.

The loan unit was posted to the next recipient yesterday, and last night I was back listening through my Trichord Dino/Dino+ ... and I was listening to recordings again, rather than being there as I felt I was with the Firebottle.

There are a couple of other phono amps I want to try, but the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'm going to have to get a Firebottle - and get a decent PSU too.

The problem is I'm just a little besotted with that beautiful sound.