+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Firebottle PS1 (MM/MC) P.S name subject to change !

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Hi bigman , how does this compare to the firebottle plus?? Alan was in the process of building me one but is having trouble with delays to parts so has offered me the solid state stage instead. Obviously it's cheaper which is a bonus but I'm wondering how it would compare to my GS Gram Amp 2 se and power supply iv just offloaded and wether this would benefit from a seperate power supply?? What was the original donor unit
    Cheers
    Hi Karl,

Well, In all honesty, I would say this phono stage isnt far off being as good as the stage in alans KIN. now what I mean by that is, although the KIN has valves in it, so has the monoblocks so there isnt a massive difference in sound. Alan tells me the stage in the KIN is £1000. So this is 20% of the price but it doesn't sound it. The KIN obviously has the final say in all areas BUT the sonic signature is exactly the same. That Firebottle sound is so evident and by sound I mean transparency, clarity and detail with no colouration. Its fantastic value for money.

I can't tell you which one to go with but I'd honestly say that the PS1 is going to be hard to beat.

I dont have any experience of the unit you previously had so I couldn't compare them. Also I cant say what the donor unit is because I dont know !

Alan did say today that he thought the FB-PS1 was possibly better than the FB-plus but we didnt do a side by side comparison. If alan is offering you a cheaper unit, remember, hes making less money so id suggest he thinks highly of It too.

I did wonder myself if a separate power supply would benefit the FB-PS1 but its extremely quiet anyway and im not sure for what other reason to have a separate suppy ? I should mention too that surface noise was greatly reduced. Not "black hole" quiet but a very dark shade of black.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigman80; 20-03-2017 at 23:48.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Wish I was a lot nearer!
    Have a go of the loaner alan is building. Your input would be very welcome. After all, there isnt much you haven't owned or heard. 👍

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Have a go of the loaner alan is building. Your input would be very welcome. After all, there isnt much you haven't owned or heard.
    I would, but I'd be taking the piss borrowing stuff I don't need to buy (I have everything I require). If it was on a review basis that might be different. I'd give an honest opinion of how I find a particular item, within the context of my (varied) system.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

I would, but I'd be taking the piss borrowing stuff I don't need to buy (I have everything I require). If it was on a review basis that might be different. I'd give an honest opinion of how I find a particular item, within the context of my (varied) system.
    I think you would be very impressed Geoff, a review based comment would do no harm either. Guys like you (and other mods) should be sampling the stuff people make. You're all very qualified !!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I think you would be very impressed Geoff, a review based comment would do no harm either. Guys like you (and other mods) should be sampling the stuff people make. You're all very qualified !!

Mods (and others) need to be careful. It's very easy to be accused of 'shilling'. Not that I would! An honest view is all you'd get from me.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Mods (and others) need to be careful. It's very easy to be accused of 'shilling'. Not that I would! An honest view is all you'd get from me.
    Ah, I hadn't thought of that.

My opinions are always honest and my own.

I'm James.

I might be interested in the phono stage as a back up Alan.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Karl.

wow
    It really sounds like he's knocked it out the park again with this one?
    My only concern is that I'm now in australia so can't trial the unit and i want a decent upgrade on my slee. If i buy something thats like for like then it was pointless selling it in the first place if u know what i mean.
    Id be interested to hear what Alan thinks about a separate psu, as it made a big difference all round with my slee.
    Did u try the unit with a moving coil as thats my next step as I'm not mad on the rega exact mm? was there any loading switches for mc?
    cheers
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    wow
    It really sounds like he's knocked it out the park again with this one?
    My only concern is that I'm now in australia so can't trial the unit and i want a decent upgrade on my slee. If i buy something thats like for like then it was pointless selling it in the first place if u know what i mean.
    Id be interested to hear what Alan thinks about a separate psu, as it made a big difference all round with my slee.
    Did u try the unit with a moving coil as thats my next step as I'm not mad on the rega exact mm? was there any loading switches for mc?
    cheers
    I tried it with a ZYX R50 Bloom. It sound fantastic. Im listening to it now.

I know you live on the other side of the earth BUT maybe Alan will send you the loan unit and you can send it on if you dont like it ? If you were first in line, and you decided to keep it it would still be brand new too. Postage wouldn't be bad either as its quite light.

It doesn't have variable loading which is a shame but at £200 you cant have everything. Alan did say he could add whatever loading was requested so maybe that's an option.

Its very very good.

I'm Karl.

Yeah i didn't expect it to have if I'm honest but if it sounds great as is then it doesn't matter.
    Maybe il put your proposal to the magician himself as i would be very happy to do that.
    Cheers for all the info matey
    enjoy
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast