+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Luxman or Accuphase owners?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzapp View Post
    Having listened to the Luxman 590 I can report that it sounded hugely impressive. Effortless power, detail, separation and grunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    In my blog, I attempted to explain that Luxman is far more than just a.n.other Japanese brand with great looks, fabulous build and tons of facilities. They are vastly better than that and on a level which few companies attain at any price. Their electronics have that touch of 'magic' which sets them apart from the rest and on another planet.

OK, they look great, have wonderful meters and with no facility wanting but the sound and performance sets the brand apart and that is what's important to me.
    Sums up the L-590 very well. The only thing I would add is that the amp produces an exceptional sound stage with great precision and depth.

FWIW, I also like Yamaha amps and prior to the Luxman I was very happy with a C4/M4 pre-power for a couple of years. Happier now though I'll be interested to learn how you feel the AS-3000 stacks up.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzapp View Post
    I'd still like to give one a listen Dave. All the reports I've read on the Yams say they need 50-100 hours to burn in and open up. From what I've heard, the Luxmans sound great straight out of the box.
    The Luxman amps and CD players I have here sound great without any burn in but they do need 20 - 30 minutes warm up. If you use them cold, they simply sound 'great' but after warm up, the magic happens.

The Yamahas, to my ears and those of my colleague who stocks them, just do the job but are nothing special.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon75 View Post
    That's me sold Dave, the Luxmans you are offering look something special and are certainly on my want list, just unfortunate that they are out of my price range for the time being. I'm currently driving a pair of Tannoy Precision 6.1stand standpeakers in a fairly small space, sitting about 2meters from them so I don't think I need an amp with much power, what do you think would suit the speakers in the modern market?
    The L-550AXII and L-590AXII will both do the job nicely for you as they produce far more than their rated output, which appears to be the Class-A part of the power. But any of them will produce great sounds with your Tannoys.

The L--505UX is plenty powerful enough and at £3.5K isn't over priced, especially when you put it up against some of the plain black, empty boxes we have in the UK for similar outlay.

I'm Patrick.

Received a Luxman SQ700X in the post today, currently connected to a Thorens TD150/Shure V15typeii. It's my first attempt at buying an amp on eBay and I think I've been a bit lucky, I did overspend on the TT last year though.
    The phonostage sounds great, very musical, the aux is also in good order. Only 20watts into 8ohms but it fills the room. While the sound is great I've decided I'm not a big fan of all the knobs, they don't really contribute to the sound and they are just something else to go wrong. If I had the budget for a contemporary Luxman I would go for it, I was planning to go for the new Rega brio r later in the year but I think the Luxman will keep me otherwise entertained.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Older Jap amps are great. It's worth doing a little research before buying one though, just to check if there are any parts availablity issues.

If for instance you bought a V/FET Sony TA-5650 or TA-8650 or similar and it packed up, you could be stuck. Which is a shame as they sound amazing.

Seventies Rotels and Trio's sound remarkably good and spares can be found. Find yourself a Trio 801 amp and be very happy.

Luxman amps are desirable, as are Harman Kardon. Some of these contain bits that may tricky to source though.
    Harman Kardon should not be mentioned in the same company with Luxman, not even close IMHO. They have always had a colored, inflated top end with an almost artificial attention to detail. Always! Yamaha is not bad at all. At the very top of the Mid Fi brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Harman Kardon should not be mentioned in the same company with Luxman, not even close IMHO. They have always had a colored, inflated top end with an almost artificial attention to detail. Always! Yamaha is not bad at all. At the very top of the Mid Fi brands.

Yes, but Harmon Kardon when they were respected in audio, created some breathtaking designs
    http://www.quadesl.com/refurb/refurb_hkCitation2.html
    http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/h...y-two-147.html

look at that frequency response - unbelievable ! and unequaled
    in audio. Their design efforts also agree with what David Blackmer
    tried to show us https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_E._Blackmer

Move forward to present times, and all that remains is mis use of the original name
    giving nothing in regards to audio quality.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Yes, but Harmon Kardon when they were respected in audio, created some breathtaking designs
    http://www.quadesl.com/refurb/refurb_hkCitation2.html
    http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/h...y-two-147.html

look at that frequency response - unbelievable ! and unequaled
    in audio. Their design efforts also agree with what David Blackmer
    tried to show us https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_E._Blackmer

Move forward to present times, and all that remains is mis use of the original name
    giving nothing in regards to audio quality.
    That must have been before my time, I don't doubt you a bit, but everything I've ever heard myself was BRIGHT.

I'm Eamonn.

A bit late to this post, but as an Accuphase owner and never having heard Luxman, I can only comment on the former.
    Before coming across Accuphase I'd owned a Sugden Masterclass intigrated which is a fine amp in it's own right, but lacked the overall balance of the E350 which replaced it.
    Now I own the E470 and doubt I'd ever have another brand other than Accuphase.
    I've only ever heard good things about Luxman, other than they run rather warm.
    Mac

I'm Steven.

I have owned three Accuphase integrated amps - E205, E303 and for the last few years an E406V. They are all magnificent integrated amps!! Amazing build quality, massive power and absolutely neutral sound typify all these amps. The 406V in particular is an amazing piece of hardware and all the amp anyone could ever need (VU meters are nice things to have too).
    It's such a shame that Accuphase is a largely ignored brand in the UK.
    If you value accuracy of musical representation, that is an exact representation of what has been recorded and nothing more, then Accuphase is as good a place to start as anything else.
    "Jingoism, racism, fear, religious fundamentalism: these are the ways of appealing to people if you're trying to organize a mass base of support for policies that are really intended to crush them".
    Noam Chomsky

Current set up:
    Benchmark LA4 pre-amplifier and AHB2 power amplifier
    Sony CDP-X707ES CD player
    Sony CDP-X505ES CD player
    Topping D90SE DAC
    Sony DVP-NS900V used as a transport only
    Technics SLPG-590 CD player used as a transport only
    Marantz CD6000SE CD player used as a transport only
    Revel Performa3 M105 speakers and matching stands
    Massdrop thxaaa 789 headphone amplifier
    Audeze LCD-XC (2021 Revision) Headphones
    Connecty things: Chord, Accuphase, QED, AoS 'Barry Special', silly cheap Chinese USB cable (AMAZING value hifi product)

I'm Alex.

Not sure if this qualifies, about 8 years ago I bought a second hand L-200 amplifier, was not expensive, seems quite powerful despite it's modest rated output. No rough edges to the sound of this amp.

http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/luxman9.htm
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast