+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Luxman or Accuphase owners?

I'm Patrick.

I'm very interested in the Luxman intergrated amps from the mid seventies such as the L-100 but I'm a bit wary about spending the required funds on something about 40 years old, are these units worth the expense and are they easily fixable if something goes wrong?

I'm Geoff.

Older Jap amps are great. It's worth doing a little research before buying one though, just to check if there are any parts availablity issues.

If for instance you bought a V/FET Sony TA-5650 or TA-8650 or similar and it packed up, you could be stuck. Which is a shame as they sound amazing.

Seventies Rotels and Trio's sound remarkably good and spares can be found. Find yourself a Trio 801 amp and be very happy.

Luxman amps are desirable, as are Harman Kardon. Some of these contain bits that may tricky to source though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

Having listened to the Luxman 590 I can report that it sounded hugely impressive. Effortless power, detail, separation and grunt. Everything I'd expect from a £7k amp. Oh, and it's beautiful to look at. Build quality looked faultless. I've just been reading reports on the Yamaha A-S3000 which seems to be a very similar beast for quite a bit less outlay, so I'm looking around for a demo of this amp now.

I'm Dave.

Tried a couple of Yamahas and they are not similar in any way. i found them flat and uninvolving. There's only so much you can do for the money.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzapp View Post
    Having listened to the Luxman 590 I can report that it sounded hugely impressive. Effortless power, detail, separation and grunt. Everything I'd expect from a £7k amp. Oh, and it's beautiful to look at. Build quality looked faultless. I've just been reading reports on the Yamaha A-S3000 which seems to be a very similar beast for quite a bit less outlay, so I'm looking around for a demo of this amp now.
    great , must try one one day . they certainly look great
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Dave.

In my blog, I attempted to explain that Luxman is far more than just a.n.other Japanese brand with great looks, fabulous build and tons of facilities. They are vastly better than that and on a level which few companies attain at any price. Their electronics have that touch of 'magic' which sets them apart from the rest and on another planet.

OK, they look great, have wonderful meters and with no facility wanting but the sound and performance sets the brand apart and that is what's important to me.

I don't lightly spend thousands of my own money stocking a brand if it isn't special but that's what I have done with Luxman, because it deserves proper promotion and exposure.

I'm Patrick.

That's me sold Dave, the Luxmans you are offering look something special and are certainly on my want list, just unfortunate that they are out of my price range for the time being. I'm currently driving a pair of Tannoy Precision 6.1stand standpeakers in a fairly small space, sitting about 2meters from them so I don't think I need an amp with much power, what do you think would suit the speakers in the modern market?

I'm Grant.

I will happily test one for a few years
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Tried a couple of Yamahas and they are not similar in any way. i found them flat and uninvolving. There's only so much you can do for the money.
    I'd still like to give one a listen Dave. All the reports I've read on the Yams say they need 50-100 hours to burn in and open up. From what I've heard, the Luxmans sound great straight out of the box.

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzapp View Post
    I'd still like to give one a listen Dave. All the reports I've read on the Yams say they need 50-100 hours to burn in and open up. From what I've heard, the Luxmans sound great straight out of the box.
    They do sound good straight away, but I've heard rumours of upwards of 3 - 400 hours for full burn in!! I have to say that listening tonight, it really is the best sound I have ever heard in my room. Totally musical, bags of detail and without boom or bloat. Absolutely perfect for me...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast