+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Luxman or Accuphase owners?

I'm David.

Default Any Luxman or Accuphase owners?

I'm 'thinking' about changing my amplification, mainly because I'm only using the power amp section in my Naim Superuniti. It seems a bit of a waste to have other electronic capabilties that I'm not using and probably won't. Which brings me to other possible candidates. My preferance for sound presentation is punchy and leaning towards rich rather than dry, though I do like to hear everything in the music well defined.....if that makes any sense? I guess I'm saying that I lean towards the Naim/Cyrus presentation.

So my question is would Luxman or Accuphase deliver that kind of sound. It maybe the look of these amps that is seductive, especially compared to Naim or Cyrus.

I'm Dave.

I recently decided to stock Luxman and very glad I did. The sound is exceptional by any standards and well above the likes of Naim and Cyrus. It's 'World class'.

I'm stuart.

I have a Luxman L550 aii. Naim or Cyrus it is not, far far from it.
    It has a lush wonderful BIG sound. For me it ticks every box, oodles of inputs 2 of which are balanced, superb MM/MC input for an integrated, tone controls, balance control, loudness button and, and, and don't forget - the gorgeous meters (you can switch them off if you are so inclined but it makes zero difference to the sound).
    As well as all the knobs and buttons, it's beautifully made, sounds sublime even driving Monitor Audio PL300's.
    If you can audition one you'll buy it. The only amp i'd buy to replace it would be a Luxman 590 series , just for that little bit more power

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    I have a Luxman L550 aii. Naim or Cyrus it is not, far far from it.
    It has a lush wonderful BIG sound. For me it ticks every box, oodles of inputs 2 of which are balanced, superb MM/MC input for an integrated, tone controls, balance control, loudness button and, and, and don't forget - the gorgeous meters (you can switch them off if you are so inclined but it makes zero difference to the sound).
    As well as all the knobs and buttons, it's beautifully made, sounds sublime even driving Monitor Audio PL300's.
    If you can audition one you'll buy it. The only amp i'd buy to replace it would be a Luxman 590 series , just for that little bit more power
    Strangely enough I'm auditioning a 590AX ii at the end of the week. The 'Big lush sound' you speak of sounds just my thing. My speakers are B&W 804s's which have the same sensitivity as you PL's.

I'm Dave.

550AXII and 590AXII here on demo with D-05U CD player. Truly excellent and not far from Norfolk.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzapp View Post
    Strangely enough I'm auditioning a 590AX ii at the end of the week. The 'Big lush sound' you speak of sounds just my thing. My speakers are B&W 804s's which have the same sensitivity as you PL's.
    Your speakers might be above average sensitivity than normal for B&W, but they still love the juice...

Also, big and lush are not adjectives I would use to describe B&W speakers, not a bad thing, but they have a drier and neutral balance IMHO.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dave.

The L-590AXII is rated as 30wpc but that is misleading as this refers to the Class-A output. After that, like a Krell, it slides into Class-AB to provide 95wpc into 8 ohms and 165wpc into 4 ohms.

I'm Paul.

FWIW, I bought an L590AX a couple of months ago to drive my Tannoy Berkeleys. I'm delighted with it and suspect it will be my last amp. It greatly exceeded my expectations and has really revealed the true potential of my deck and speakers. Looking forward to hearing your impressions David once you've heard the amp. I hope you'll be able to arrange a home demo.

I'm David.

I've listened to the L550AX with a very good CD source through Harbeth Super HL5's at Radlett Audio (thanks hifi dave). The sound was exceptionally detailed and transparent, if lacking in a bit of bass extention and weight, (but I'm used to floor standers with much more bottom end). The 590 should be arriving in a couple of weeks or so and I shall certainly give this a listen. Apparently this amp has a lot more authority and punch, which sounds more appealing. I will report back when auditioned.

I'm Glen.

I own the 507-uX. It is as stated above, except that it doesn't have the exact sound of the Class A amps. It is smooth and sounds fantastic, but has a little more drive and punch to my ears. I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice. I've owned loads of amps over the years, but this is the best for me by far. Especially as you get all the bells and whistles too! I was seriously tempted with the Croft to drive my P3ESR's, but I really wanted everything in one box. Remote, phono, headphone, balanced inputs, tone controls etc. etc...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast