+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some advice please

I'm Ian.

Default Some advice please

Hello

I am hoping i can get some advice please. I have my 2 1210's indoors but i have a 3rd that has been in a shed at bottom of garden for quite a few years and it is in quite a poor state. I have been reading up and there are quite a lot of tutorials on you tube and I think i could rebuild it.

Could you please let me know if it is worth it and would it cost too much?. If not then please could you point me in the right direction, for example where to get good spares.

I do plan on this taking a while on this so i am not in a rush and i am looking forward to building a deck myself.

Thank you for any reply
    Ian

I'm jamie.

pics please,1st thing to do is get in in the warm and out of the shed.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Ian.

Thanks for replying Jamie. I have moved it indoors and took it apart but yes i will definitely gets some pics and see what you think.

I'm Martin.

Value of a good one is (at the low end) about £300 these days, you might want to take that into consideration when evaluating the cost of a rebuild. Like Jamie says depends on how bad it has gone. They are very well made things so it will take a lot to kill one completely.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ian.

Its not letting me post many but you can see not too bad from what can upload. I know will need quite a bit done
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Geoff.

You can post more and better photos if you use an image hosting site.

The Technics is certainly restorable. I'd concentrate on getting it working properly before getting involved in the cosmetics though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ian.

Yes i guess my main thing to do first is make sure the main circuit board is still working. Any advice on how to do this?

I'm Alan.

Surface corrosion as would be expected by the look of things. A visual inspection is the first thing to do.

Release the pcb mounting screws and see if you can see/get to the underside. Look closely for any corrosion of the copper tracks, most pcbs have a resist layer on the tracks to protect them.

If there is any verdigris then use a stiff brush, an old tooth brush will do, to remove it. Look closely at the soldered joints for 'dry joints', these usually appear dull or you can see a feint crack around the component lead.

Likelihood is everything will be OK

I'm Ian.

Thank you Alan that's brilliant news i shall give that a go and give an update

I'm Mike.

If you've already got 2, you might as well chuck this one, or flog it on fleabay for £50? OR you could spend £2000 on upgrades, then buy a £2000 arm, and its the deck of your dreams, risen from the dead!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast