+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts on my new toy - a RCM

I'm Loz.

Default Thoughts on my new toy - a RCM

I know RCM's have had plenty of coverage here but I wanted to offer a few thoughts on my new Pro-Ject Record cleaning machine. Firstly it's my second one as the original developed a leak, dropping a pool of dirty fluid after about 5-6 cleans. It's replacement is a 2nd generation and has no problems so far. Set up and operation is straightforward and was up on running in under ten minutes.

Prior to this I was using a Knosti set up which has to be said is not bad at all. But this is clearly a step up getting some great results. So far I've cleaned around 50 records. The reduction and in many cases elimination in audible clicks, pops and surface noise is evident. Some records need a second clean to get the best result. I'm using 'The Right One' fluid which helps in a big way. Anyone know If Paul still producing this stuff? A big change for me is no more crap left on the stylus after playing records!

Obviously it's not the last word in record cleaning but for the price it does a damn good job. It's noisy yes and motor is also a bit noisy which apparently is common. But overall I'm really pleased. Money well spent I reckon.

Cheers

Loz

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    I know RCM's have had plenty of coverage here but I wanted to offer a few thoughts on my new Pro-Ject Record cleaning machine. Firstly it's my second one as the original developed a leak, dropping a pool of dirty fluid after about 5-6 cleans. It's replacement is a 2nd generation and has no problems so far. Set up and operation is straightforward and was up on running in under ten minutes.

Prior to this I was using a Knosti set up which has to be said is not bad at all. But this is clearly a step up getting some great results. So far I've cleaned around 50 records. The reduction and in many cases elimination in audible clicks, pops and surface noise is evident. Some records need a second clean to get the best result. I'm using 'The Right One' fluid which helps in a big way. Anyone know If Paul still producing this stuff? A big change for me is no more crap left on the stylus after playing records!

Obviously it's not the last word in record cleaning but for the price it does a damn good job. It's noisy yes and motor is also a bit noisy which apparently is common. But overall I'm really pleased. Money well spent I reckon.

Cheers

Loz
    Any record cleaning machine is better than none. I am sure the Project is good. I don't know how any vinyl spinner does without a RCM. I use a VPI myself,noisy, basic but solid. Does the job. I could do with a recommendation for some cleaning fluid at a reasonable price Loz so if you could pass any info on that would be great.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Any record cleaning machine is better than none. I am sure the Project is good. I don't know how any vinyl spinner does without a RCM. I use a VPI myself,noisy, basic but solid. Does the job. I could do with a recommendation for some cleaning fluid at a reasonable price Loz so if you could pass any info on that would be great.

James, The Right Stuff as mentioned is really great fluid. Quite a few on AoS use it. Paul Stewart of this parish sold it but I'm unsure if he still is. Might be worth sending him a PM?

I'm Chris.

With Knosti I used a mix of IPA/ water/ wetting agent, because it was dirt cheap. I switched to L'art du Son when I bought an Okki. I have the RCM in my work room, which is quite small. Cleaning the records with an IPA solution during winter was an issue - it's no fun cleaning records with an open window at -10C outside. IPA smells quite bad so you really should have good ventilation. On the other hand, L'art du Son has no ugly smell (it actually smells quite nice) and IMHO room ventilation is not necessary. Although the cost of L'art du Son is quite steep, I reckon a bottle should be good enough to clean around 700 records. I mix the solution 1 ml fluid to 50 ml water before cleaning the records, it is enough for around 7 records, so one Knosti drying rack.
    TT: none atm; Carts: Benz Micro Ace SL; Phono stage: Nuda dual mono
    Digital: Rotel RCD-965BX, rDAC; Amp: Modwright KWI-200, Speakers: Dynaudio Special 25

I'm Mike.

i had a Knosti and thought it was great if a little bit of a chore, it's like doing the dishes by had rather than using a dishwasher, anyway i've been hankering after a RCM for ages, every time a thread like this pops up, it pushes me closer to parting with the cash

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I could do with a recommendation for some cleaning fluid at a reasonable price Loz so if you could pass any info on that would be great.
    I use this always have - http://www.originlive.com/turntable-...ing-fluid.html

You can find it cheaper and one small bottle makes about 5 litres of cleaning fluid.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Grant.

Been making mine for years. Tried all the pre made stuff, and mine is at least as good imo. And many times cheaper overall. But its horses for courses.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Bob.

Default RCM

I too have invested in a pro-ject cleaning machine. Got it last July, money well spent I think. Records from past car boot purchases and original lps from my earlier years sound great after cleaning. There is no static build up that I can detect just greatly reduced pops and clicks as you might expect. The effect I think is known as vinyl roar, doesn't appear to be reduced by much. Although this maybe due to wear/damage from my earlier, cruder record decks. I am using the fluid supplied with the machine diluted with deionised water, although I did get some IPA and wetting agent to knock up my own brew. I have decided against it after reading about possible damage to vinyl by IPA, so I now have 5 litres of the stuff, enough to clean all my tape heads for the next 50 years I reckon.

+ Reply to Thread