+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sonic Signature

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    In my opinion you always have to actively listen. When you're on stage it's all "just there" because there is no reproduction system getting in the way, but you still need to actively listen. You'd be amazed how many people don't listen. They're not nice to play with.
    Playing in a band isn't really the same thing though, it is an active as opposed to passive activity and is quite demanding (unless you're just covering Quo tunes).

Obviously you would need to listen - perhaps what I should have said is that on a very good system there is no need to concentrate or pay special attention in order to hear everything there is to hear.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I have often seen people say that when they get a new component or up-grade an existing one "it does not seem to add or subtract anything" which suggests that what they are hearing is to them a purer representation than what they were hearing before.

How do you know?
    When people say things like "it does not seem to add or subtract anything" or, one of my bugbears, "it extracts every last bit of detail".
    Well, you know that they haven't a clue what they are talking about and need to listen to a wider variety of gear.

I'm Neil.

I have had experiences where I felt the usual artifacts I associate with components were dramatically reduced or removed, so a sound more like a component being taken out of the chain rather than a new signature. I suppose this is just really increased transparency​.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Simon.

With regard to the original question I'd say everything adds or detracts because everything in hi fi is different.

I'm Phil.

got a beautiful hi end pre amp at the moment [grandinote] . its as beautiful as my pre modwright dm
    but it has a different sonic signature . mine is slightly fuller in the midrange and the one i have on demo is more extended at bottom end . they both sound absolutely delightful but a very different signature
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123