+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sonic Signature

I'm Rob.

Default Sonic Signature

I have often seen people say that when they get a new component or up-grade an existing one "it does not seem to add or subtract anything" which suggests that what they are hearing is to them a purer representation than what they were hearing before.

How do you know?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I have often seen people say that when they get a new component or up-grade an existing one "it does not seem to add or subtract anything" which suggests that what they are hearing is to them a purer representation than what they were hearing before.

How do you know?
    Always cracks me up, that one. Unless you were present at the recording session, the only insight you have into the recording is listening to it via one or more different systems. There's no way of knowing what a particular component has added, taken away, or changed.

I'm Martin.

Box swappers can tell.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm GettingFunky.

X swappers can tell it sounds different from the last system they heard it on.
    Kevin

Funkified Technics SL1200 Mk2 (Funk FX-1200+, Techne-Audio modified DL-103/AT33PTG/II/, Funk Firm "Strata" platter, "Spin" bearing and BO!NG Isolation feet, MCRU/LDA PSU).
    Pioneer PD-S703.
    Battery powered Beresford Caiman II.
    Firebottle KIN fitted with NOS Telefunken Valves.
    Firebottle Monoblocks fitted with NOS Telefunken Valves.
    Electric Beach FH3 with Taket BatPure super tweeters.
    Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Headphone amp.
    Sennheiser HD540 Reference II & HD650.
    DIY Klotz MC5000/MS Audio interconnects.
    Talk cable 3 speaker cable.
    Neotech hybrid mains cables from MCRU
    Power Inspired AG1500

I'm Geoff.

If you hear more detail, more transparency, tighter bass and so on. Has something been added? Or has something been taken away?
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    X swappers can tell it sounds different from the last system they heard it on.
    Different, maybe. Closer to the original? How can they tell, apart from a vague feeing that 'it sounds so good, this must be how it was meant to sound'?

I'm Martin.

You really want a serious answer to this question? Okay,

1) we are attempting accurate replay of the original recording post mastering, not re-creating the original performance. No need to have been there for any of it.

2) If it sounds good you are on the right track as almost all recordings sound good if the kit isn't cocking them up.

3) All recordings have to sound good not just girl with guitar or bloke playing cello - no exceptions. If so you are on the right track. If not and only some recordings sound good that is because the kit is faking it by adding 'sonic signature'. All kit has sonic signature, especially speakers, we can't get away from that but the less signature the more likely all recordings will sound good.

4) 'Sounds good' does not mean you decided you liked it. If you have to analyse then it isn't that good. You know good when you hear it. No thinking needed.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm Rob.

It is all subjective though isn't it?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

I'm Martin.

It's only subjective around the edges.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    It is all subjective though isn't it?
    Even objectivism is open to interpretation, making it all subjective.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast