+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gloss finish restoration.

I'm nigel.

Default Gloss finish restoration.

not sure if this topic has been bought up before so.....
    I recently bought a pair of q acoustics 2050i speakers and their matching active sub from a local cash generator.
    as these had sat in the shop for a while, various bits of kit had been stacked on them and the black gloss finish had suffered damage.
    this amounts to lots of surface scratching akin to a fine grade glasspaper....non have penetrated deep enough to reach the basecoat but the effect is somewhat shonky.
    I have tried various household polishes in a attempt to build up layers and a smooth shiny finish but to no avail.

I have pondered a automotive t cut style product but am fearful of seriously f**king the paint!!

as anyone think of a better solution?

NIGE.

I'm Geoff.

Use Brasso first to polish out the fine scratches, then wax!

T-Cut is a bit coarser and therefore more aggressive in polishing.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

Strip and respray
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Gary.

I found that none of the polishes or brasso will do removing the scratches, I've successfully used 3000 grade abrasive wet, then something like brasso with lint free dry cloth.

Try it on the back first.

Used this as the last steps in refurbishing plastic headlights on my car. Works brilliantly.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I found that none of the polishes or brasso will do removing the scratches, I've successfully used 3000 grade abrasive wet, then something like brasso with lint free dry cloth.

Try it on the back first.

Used this as the last steps in refurbishing plastic headlights on my car. Works brilliantly.
    To remove scratches in paint, you have to remove the surrounding paint until you get down to the same level, there are cutting compounds available of various degrees of coarseness, the roughest of these will take you through to the next coat fairly quickly if your not careful. No need to try household products that work with various degrees of success, just buy the stuff made for the job. Because you are removing paint, it is only worth doing on light scratches, otherwise repaint the item.

+ Reply to Thread