+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Foreign Pressings

I'm Mike.

Default Foreign Pressings

I've recently bought 2 LP's, Roxy Music Siren which is on the Polydor label and pressed in France, the other is Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night on Warner Bros WEA label and pressed in Czechoslovakia. Both are very well finished dead flat and of a heavier / thicker vinyl than UK pressings of similar age, this got me thinking, probably 90% of my vinyl hails from the UK, I thought our vinyl production, LP pressing plants were up there with the best if not THE best, but are they? I'll certainly be looking out for foreign pressings in the future.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Mick.

I have a lot of German and Dutch pressings. They appear to be a thicker better quality vinyl than the original UK equivalent. I think a lot of it is luck of the draw. Some poor presses can come from the UK and abroad.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Steve.

I can't say for current pressings but my general rule of thumb for 60's/70's and possibly 80's is that Euro (inc. GB) pressings are far superior to anything worldwide except for Japanese.

I'd prefer a Japanese copy of anything but sadly only have few.

I try to avoid USA pressings if possible as the majority always seem bright and noisy even if bought as "still sealed"

I'm also not a fan of the Sony / Universal "Back To Black" reishs. A couple of them have given me little nagging thoughts that the vinyl itself is substandard.
    Last edited by Pierre De Grenoble; 19-03-2017 at 12:21.
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Mike.

I didn't pay much attention as to where in the world my LP's had been pressed until i bought these two as i said, like everyone i guess, i presumed that vinyl quality generally deteriorated through the 80's and 90's, however the Czech copy of Tango in the night is more like something from the 70's with regard to weight and overall finish

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Avoid Portugese and Greek pressings, in my experience they are very poor.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Not had any problems especially with American pressings. Ive plenty Old blues ones that are top class. Ive a US pressing from Verve got recently that is fine.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Avoid Portugese and Greek pressings, in my experience they are very poor.
    Yep, Spanish too. The Japanese stuff i have is very good, though translated sleeve / lyric writing can some times be hilarious.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I've recently bought 2 LP's, Roxy Music Siren which is on the Polydor label and pressed in France, the other is Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night on Warner Bros WEA label and pressed in Czechoslovakia. Both are very well finished dead flat and of a heavier / thicker vinyl than UK pressings of similar age, this got me thinking, probably 90% of my vinyl hails from the UK, I thought our vinyl production, LP pressing plants were up there with the best if not THE best, but are they? I'll certainly be looking out for foreign pressings in the future.
    I have a number of old LPs (mostly from late sixties/early seventies) that state "Made in England" on the label. Most of those are in amazing shape, barely any pops or clicks. The only other old batch of LPs I have that are equally high quality are the ones that say "Made in Germany". I'd say that LPs that used to be made in England are usually top notch.

The absolute worst pressings I've ever heard in my life were from Peru.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread