+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fs: Denon DL-103C1

I'm Nathan.

Default Fs: Denon DL-103C1

I bought this from an AoS member a few months back.
    He estimated 60-70 hours on it. I put at least 20 hours on it so now around the 100 mark.
    The below is taken from the original members advert.
    (This is a rare and high spec 103 variant from 1991 that sports a ceramic bodyshell and (C1) premium copper internal wiring.
    It has similar spec to the 103R with 13ohm impedence and 0.25 output.
    The ceramic body takes the weight up to 9.7g)

I think I recal paying approx £230 delivered so I'll ask £200 + delivery at cost.

Any questions please ask.
    Cheers!!

I'm Nathan.

Open to very sensible offers as always!!

I'm Nathan.

I'm after a DAC so a swap of the same value would be considered.

I'm Nathan.

Or swap for something different? I'm alway open to trying anything audio.
    Last edited by nuff; 19-03-2017 at 13:32. Reason: Typo

blackstar Guest

I have the LCII without the ceramic body but the same innards and it is a very good cartridge.

I'm Nathan.

It really is but it's not a good match with my SME 3009 S2. I was going to sell the SME to buy a better match for the Denon but it's such a good arm, especially after J7 serviced and re-wired it for me.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

This is a SUPERB cartridge (I own one myself), and way better than any modern stock or 'limited edition' DL-103, with the exception of an 'SA'. Vintage 103s always sound special and rather different from their modern counterparts, and in that respect the 'C1' is no different.

Sonically, in the right arm, it's easily as good as many cartridges made today, at up to £1K, so someone should really be snapping Nathan's hands off for this cracker!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This is a SUPERB cartridge (I own one myself), and way better than any modern stock or 'limited edition' DL-103, with the exception of an 'SA'. Vintage 103s always sound special and rather different from their modern counterparts, and in that respect the 'C1' is no different.

Sonically, in the right arm, it's easily as good as many cartridges made today, at up to £1K, so someone should really be snapping Nathan's hands off for this cracker!!

Marco.
    Cheers Marco.

It really did sound great in my 3009 S2 with a yamamoto hs 1 headshell but there just seemed to be something missing with its performance.
    In your opinion what arm would be a good match because I could be tempted to sell mine and try again.
    Nathan.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Nathan,

103s, of any description work best on classic Japanese 'S-shaped' arms with detachable headshells, so Denon's own, from 'back in the day,' are ideal (many available now on ebay), but only entertain ones where the seller has tested the bearings, and has mentioned such. Another great arm for a DL-103 is a Linn LVV. Real synergy happens there (especially when used with an Audio Technica MG-10 headshell), and it's cheap...!

Here's a minter being sold with a Michell Focus One:

Also, arms from Micro-Seiki, Pioneer, etc, are ideal, especially if you can fit a 10" arm on your turntable. Most of these Jap arms were available in 10" versions, as indeed is the popular Jelco. 10-inchers, IMO, are the ideal compromise between 9 and 12-inch arms, and with a heavy headshell fitted, provide the ideal amount of mass that allows a 103 to really sing!

As an alternative, if you'd prefer new, a modern arm that works really well with a DL-103 (if you fit a high-mass headshell to it) is an SME M2-9R: http://www.sme-audio.com/tonearms/sm...-m2-9r-tonearm

Essentially a 3009 revisited, but it's a bloody good arm, and musically far superior to a Series 300 (the one that SME and their dealers would prefer you to buy). Hope this helps

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nathan.

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the info. I think i will keep this for the moment and start looking for one of the arms you recommend.
    I do like the look of the Jelco SA-750E 10" Inch Tonearm, I may look into these.

Thanks again and I'll keep you updated of my decisions.
    Nathan.

Temporarily removed from sale.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast