+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High-end Class D amp?

I'm Richard.

Question High-end Class D amp?

I stream most of my music, meaning the amp is on for most of the day. In this set-up a good Class D amp could make a lot of sense right?

For my vinyl, it runs through the Firebottle Plus stage, so it will have a nice analogue signature before it gets to the amp anyway. A valve amp wouldn't make sense to be left on (sometimes for days on end) would it?

My floorstanders need a lot of current. I'd like to get an amp good enough to resist upgraditis for a long while, even if I end up auditioning speakers to better work with the amp and the room later on.

Any amp recommendations? I'd like to go less than £2500. And based on the above, I have a preference for integrated over pre/power or monoblocks, but any advice greatly appreciated. Please let me know what you think.

I'm Michael.

This is what I use. http://www.classdaudio.com/sds-serie...t-page-reviews
    Great sound. This is the model with the enhanced power supply to cope with your speakers! Needs an active pre amp though.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    This is what I use. http://www.classdaudio.com/sds-serie...t-page-reviews
    Great sound. This is the model with the enhanced power supply to cope with your speakers! Needs an active pre amp though.
    How do these perform ? Ive read recently that class D is closing the gap would you agree ?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by rchinn View Post
    I stream most of my music, meaning the amp is on for most of the day. In this set-up a good Class D amp could make a lot of sense right?

For my vinyl, it runs through the Firebottle Plus stage, so it will have a nice analogue signature before it gets to the amp anyway. A valve amp wouldn't make sense to be left on (sometimes for days on end) would it?

My floorstanders need a lot of current. I'd like to get an amp good enough to resist upgraditis for a long while, even if I end up auditioning speakers to better work with the amp and the room later on.

Any amp recommendations? I'd like to go less than £2500. And based on the above, I have a preference for integrated over pre/power or monoblocks, but any advice greatly appreciated. Please let me know what you think.
    The Lyngdorf TDAi2170 has been getting a lot of praise and may be worth looking at, particularly since it's easy to find a retailer who will dem it in Sweden. See http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/tdai-2170

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    The Lyngdorf TDAi2170 has been getting a lot of praise and may be worth looking at, particularly since it's easy to find a retailer who will dem it in Sweden. See http://www.lyngdorf.com/products/electronics/tdai-2170
    Wow, that Lyngdorf sounds brilliant. The reviews are particularly good and the room correction makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the tip! I'm just getting to know Scandi electronics.

The SDS-470C linked upthread looks like great value. What was shipping and customs like getting them from the US?

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    How do these perform ? Ive read recently that class D is closing the gap would you agree ?

The SDS sounds great in my system. It is very quiet running even via RCA. I have heard several Hypex N Core set ups and I prefer the SDS to them. I think the SDS chip is from Texas Instruments. I would add that the SDS doesn't work too well with passive pres amps in my experience sounding a little distant due to it's low input sensitivity ( 2 volts for full output ). Hope this helps.

Bigman80 Guest

It does. Thanks !!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by rchinn View Post

I had a similar problem driving my Magneplanar speakers and found a large number of highly rated amps inadequate to the task. After a visit to the USA just before Christmas I purchased a pair of monoblocks made by Nuprime (STA-9s). These are actually stereo power but which when set to monoblock mode deliver close to 300w per channel. Despite sounding valve like in many respects they have transformed by Maggies and I continue to be surprised by the quality and depth of the bass I am getting. I am extremely pleased with them and consider them to be an extreme bargain. If you really need an integrated Nuprime have a number of models that might suit you. The hybrid class A/D designs consume a minute amount of power in standby mode too!

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread