+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Turntable - Budget £200

I'm John.

Going to annoy the belt drive fans but I'd go for the direct drive ATLP120USB. Just under £200, reasonable phono stage, good AT95e cartridge fitted, easily upgradeable with a better cart and phono stage as funds allow. Plus it's new, and will carry a warranty. Better speed stability than any cheap belter, for me a very convincing sound.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcC View Post
    Better speed stability than any cheap belter, for me a very convincing sound.
    I would say a good belt drive is as stable with regard to speed as direct drive, i've had direct drive, my last one an Aiwa AP2600, it ran at 33.2 rpm with + or - .07rpm, my latest TT a Rega planar 3 runs at 33.4rpm with + or - .05rpm, so nothing in it really, i regularly check the speed with an app on my phone, as peace of mind, especially after i've been tweaking, i will say though you need to check the speed more often on a belt drive, as belts wear out, something that doesn't happen with DD and a worn belt has a massive effect on overall speed and speed stability.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I would say a good belt drive is as stable with regard to speed as direct drive, i've had direct drive, my last one an Aiwa AP2600, it ran at 33.2 rpm with + or - .07rpm, my latest TT a Rega planar 3 runs at 33.4rpm with + or - .05rpm, so nothing in it really, i regularly check the speed with an app on my phone, as peace of mind, especially after i've been tweaking, i will say though you need to check the speed more often on a belt drive, as belts wear out, something that doesn't happen with DD and a worn belt has a massive effect on overall speed and speed stability.
    how accurate is a phone app, I gave a sprit level on my phone that's way off. A good direct drive will be spot on speed unlike your God belt drive. The AT turntable will be perfect for your hipster friend.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    how accurate is a phone app, I gave a sprit level on my phone that's way off. A good direct drive will be spot on speed unlike your God belt drive. The AT turntable will be perfect for your hipster friend.
    How accurate is quartz lock or the strobe for that matter? can you see speed variation of 2 decimal places? i would say no you can't, furthermore i would say the gyroscope in my iPhone is pretty accurate and easily as accurate as a strobe or quartz lock. A new good quality belt sorts most speed issues out on a belt drive, however any speed issues on a direct drive and it's either scrap or new circuitry, at the end of the day you get what you pay for, no matter if it's belt or direct drive

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Tim.

Get a used Rega planar 3 or an RP3, get a Schitt mani phono stage and a rega mm cart, job done. he'll be hooked on vinyl in minutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12