+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Little bear tube Preamp T7 real tube amp or IC amp with glowing tubes for visual

I'm Paul.

Default Little bear tube Preamp T7 real tube amp or IC amp with glowing tubes for visual

Hi all

Just taken delivery of a Little Bear T7 Tube Preamp

One of the questions I had was is it a true tube amp or one of those low end chinese tube amps that are really IC amps and just use the tubes for visual effect.

The price from Douk was low enough for me to take a punt and see whats inside, the seller posted a picture of the populated circuit board that appeared to show that there where no IC's present so it should be a true tube amp, but is it

Pictures below

How it looks in all its splendor

Picture of the top of the PCB showing no IC's

But wait, whats this underneath

The 8 leg IC is a JRC2068 which is some form of OpAmp

http://www.datasheetcafe.com/jrc2068-datasheet-pdf/

So the question for those in the know, is is it a true tube amp or is that OpAmp really doing the amplification.

Thanks for any feedback

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Alan.

With a quick search it looks like the op-amp is the phono amplifier stage and the tubes are the 'valve buffer' stage after and for the AUX function.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    So the question for those in the know, is is it a true tube amp or is that OpAmp really doing the amplification.
    What's a "true" tube amp? That's something that be debated endlessly. Some people scoff if there's a solid state rectifier in there instead of "true" tube rectifier. It all depends on how far you want to take the definition of "true tube".

Alan's assessment that the valves are acting as buffers sounds reasonable.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Some people scoff if there's a solid state rectifier in there instead of "true" tube rectifier.
    As I said the other week. A rectifier just rectifies. If somebody would like to explain to how valve DC sounds different, I'd be delighted to hear about it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

What does using the tubes as a buffer achieve regarding the sound quality.

Been testing this unit today via an AB switch on my A-70 and to be honest I can't hear any difference.

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    ... to be honest I can't hear any difference.
    A buffer is supposed to be transparent. I'd be more worried if you could hear a difference than if you couldn't.

I'm Grant.

If you have an impedence mismatch between units then it should sort that. Some will impart a bit of a signature too. Some regard it as a warm valvy feel, but thats just imo smearing due to poor design and parts. As above you should reall only hear differences if your say, pre and power are a mismatch.. i use a very good one after my cd player, which seems to improve things since i upgraded it. Just seems to take an edge off the digital, so may be a problem, i dont know. Not complaining
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Thanks for the explanation

Still not to sure why I bought it though as I was not dissatisfied with the phono stage in my old Pioneer A-70

Still it looks good in the dark and was quite cheap so no great loss, and also it's no worse so might be of use should I end up with more than one turntable, not that SHMBO will allow that, although she did give in and let me get a wall mount, so I must be wearing her down, it's only taken 30 years

Paul

+ Reply to Thread