+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Speaker match for Marantz PM4

I'm Martin.

surprised it will work well with Kabers. Only 15 watts in class A and that is probably optimistic. I suppose if you don't need to crank it will manage.

You want a speaker that is sensitive and a fairly easy load to get the best out of it. 'Kabuki' speakers should be a good match. Or Wharfedale E series. Or if you want to get spendy some classic JBL - Century L100 would be my pick, about the right era too.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    surprised it will work well with Kabers. Only 15 watts in class A and that is probably optimistic. I suppose if you don't need to crank it will manage.

You want a speaker that is sensitive and a fairly easy load to get the best out of it. 'Kabuki' speakers should be a good match. Or Wharfedale E series. Or if you want to get spendy some classic JBL - Century L100 would be my pick, about the right era too.
    They sound awful though...

The OP will need to decide on class A or class A/B use as speakers suited to 60WPC are not necessarily best for 15WPC of course!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    They sound awful though...
    Yeah. OK as party speakers, but coloured and ragged at the top.

I'm Martin.

off the pace nowadays I agree but there are plenty of speakers I prefer them to. They are good fun and will match the Marantz (in class A) well I reckon. Get that 'West Coast' sound going on
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'The best I advice I ever received was to always remember that no-one else has any idea what they are doing either.'

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yeah. OK as party speakers, but coloured and ragged at the top.
    Yup. A mate had some... for about a week before he got shot of 'em. I remember us both kind of scratching our heads and comments like "and these cost how much new?". They go loud, in a screechy sort of way, and the bass is pretty good but I really can't think of anything else positive to say about them... They sound like PA speakers to me.

I'm Martin.

okay already! what's your suggestion then?
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

I'm Jez.

I'm sure a pair of Tannoy Westminster Royals would provide more than adequate volume and room filling.... they are... I mean sound

I'm Geoff.

How about something from Triangle. Good sensitivity and good sound.

I'm Dan.

No longer mine guys - Now my dads pair with a pair of B&O S60's - Technics SL-120 - SME 3009 S2 he's happy enough...
    Main System
    Musical Fidelity E100 Amplifier & Mission 770 Freedom Speakers - Linn Interconnects & Van Den Hul Cables Speaker Cable..
    Vinyl :
    Rega Planar 2 / RB250 / Ortofon OM Super 10 / VDH Oil Bearing Upgrade / Roksan R Mat

Second System:
    Technics 909U Pre / 909S Power Amplifiers / Celestion A1 Compact / Sony CD S1 / Thorens TD125 / SME 3009 / Shure V15 T2 / Cambridge Interconnects

I'm Steve.

Hi Martin
    Yes it is surprising that they work with kabers, but you do need the rell with them, I am not a fan of the linns but the synergy is very good.
    A suggestion that I have is (if you can find a pair) mordant short signifiers an unsung hero that has been forgotten about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast