+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Speaker match for Marantz PM4

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm David.

I reviewed the Pm-4 for Hi-Fi Answers back in 1983 (PM me if you want a copy). I used Celestion SL6 speakers without trouble over replay level in a fairly big listening room. In 1999 I was 'exiled' to the States and wanted a system of reasonable quality for my den. I borrowed a Pm-4 from a chum and used this across a long room with a pair of Acoustic Energy AE-1s fed by a modded Marantz CD-65SE - a blissful system that I spent many happy hours listening to - though admittedly I wasn't listening to thrash metal or organ recitals.

Of the speakers you list the Tannoys would be my first port of call having used a Pm-4 with 609s very successfully.

It's one of my desert island products - you're lucky indeed - enjoy.
    DGP

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by DGP View Post
    I reviewed the Pm-4 for Hi-Fi Answers back in 1983 (PM me if you want a copy). I used Celestion SL6 speakers without trouble over replay level in a fairly big listening room. In 1999 I was 'exiled' to the States and wanted a system of reasonable quality for my den. I borrowed a Pm-4 from a chum and used this across a long room with a pair of Acoustic Energy AE-1s fed by a modded Marantz CD-65SE - a blissful system that I spent many happy hours listening to - though admittedly I wasn't listening to thrash metal or organ recitals.

Of the speakers you list the Tannoys would be my first port of call having used a Pm-4 with 609s very successfully.

It's one of my desert island products - you're lucky indeed - enjoy.
    DGP
    Hi David

Thanks

i will PM you for a copy if that is OK will do it later on today - PS RE the Tannoys i have read different things like the did not gel well but will give them a try each to their own...Thank you
    [B] Receiver[/B\]
    Yamaha CR 2020
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Stanton 500 MKII Cartridge
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    JPW Kit with Audax , Peerless and VOLT B250's
    Speaker Cable , Digital Coax , Interconnects
    QED Speaker Cable , Chord Coax Digital , Nakamichi Interconnect , Belkin Interconnect

I'm Geoff.

The Tannoy DC1000 are a hoot to use and will suit the PM-4 just fine. These Tannoys may not exactly be neutral, but they image brilliantly and go louder than any speaker that size has any right to! I prefer the DC1000 to the larger DC2000/3000 models.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread