+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Speaker match for Marantz PM4

I'm Martin.

surprised it will work well with Kabers. Only 15 watts in class A and that is probably optimistic. I suppose if you don't need to crank it will manage.

You want a speaker that is sensitive and a fairly easy load to get the best out of it. 'Kabuki' speakers should be a good match. Or Wharfedale E series. Or if you want to get spendy some classic JBL - Century L100 would be my pick, about the right era too.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    surprised it will work well with Kabers. Only 15 watts in class A and that is probably optimistic. I suppose if you don't need to crank it will manage.

You want a speaker that is sensitive and a fairly easy load to get the best out of it. 'Kabuki' speakers should be a good match. Or Wharfedale E series. Or if you want to get spendy some classic JBL - Century L100 would be my pick, about the right era too.
    They sound awful though...

The OP will need to decide on class A or class A/B use as speakers suited to 60WPC are not necessarily best for 15WPC of course!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    They sound awful though...
    Yeah. OK as party speakers, but coloured and ragged at the top.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

off the pace nowadays I agree but there are plenty of speakers I prefer them to. They are good fun and will match the Marantz (in class A) well I reckon. Get that 'West Coast' sound going on
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yeah. OK as party speakers, but coloured and ragged at the top.
    Yup. A mate had some... for about a week before he got shot of 'em. I remember us both kind of scratching our heads and comments like "and these cost how much new?". They go loud, in a screechy sort of way, and the bass is pretty good but I really can't think of anything else positive to say about them... They sound like PA speakers to me.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

okay already! what's your suggestion then?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jez.

I'm sure a pair of Tannoy Westminster Royals would provide more than adequate volume and room filling.... they are... I mean sound

I'm Geoff.

How about something from Triangle. Good sensitivity and good sound.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

No longer mine guys - Now my dads pair with a pair of B&O S60's - Technics SL-120 - SME 3009 S2 he's happy enough...
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Steve.

Hi Martin
    Yes it is surprising that they work with kabers, but you do need the rell with them, I am not a fan of the linns but the synergy is very good.
    A suggestion that I have is (if you can find a pair) mordant short signifiers an unsung hero that has been forgotten about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast