+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: passive pre-amp

I'm terry.

Default passive pre-amp

I have been following with interest the discussions/arguments regarding the merits of passive pre-amps.
    SO decided to give it a go to see/hear for myself.
    I have a pair of Quad 99 monoblocks which were meant to be sold eventually, thes seemed a fair start.
    I did not want to spend lots of cash on the project as the results could potentially be poor.
    I looked at offerings from Tisbury, NVA, but settled for the Baldwin P3S (all around £100/130 price range)
    Following advise about short connection cables I connected my Marantz 6006 and my Ariston RD 11 Turntable through an Angle Audio reference 2 phono stage.
    Was a little worried about my Quad Z2 speakers as they are not the most sensitive units
    First up Cd (Raising Sand, Robert Plant/Allison klauss) well well, no noticeable loss of VOLUME, (quarter turn on control) bass or treble, and easily the equal of my Croft integrated
    Next the same music on LP, control to 12 o clock for same volume, but sound very very good.
    Just one thing of note, he music was fine ,but vocals a little recessed needed to widen speaker position and remove toe in, cured but cannot explain why?
    Maybe I was just lucky with the available equipment to hand, and the Quad amps having ample power, but the set up will remain till I have tried other styles of music.

I'm Martin.

You'll only have a problem with volume if the power amps are very insensitive. If not all you are doing with an active pre is adding more gain you don't need then attenuating it again. Depends on what active pre-amp you were using before, but unless it was a very good one there should be a notable step up in quality of sound, particularly with digital.

Problems I have encountered with some passives are a lack of impact on what should be hard transients, like snares, making them sound too soft; and a perceived lack of bass. The passive may be more sensitive to the interconnects used than an active, too. Keep us posted on how you get on.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm terry.

Thanks for that, I too have a Firebottle MM , I will give it a go with that.
    I had previously used the Quad 99 pre, with the Mono's
    Just trying to simplify system get rid of multiple power leads, interconnects etc.

I'm Martin.

Not having to find somewhere to plug it in is one of the unsung advantages of a passive pre

I did a search for the Baldwin passive but the only thing it threw up was this thread.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm terry.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not having to find somewhere to plug it in is one of the unsung advantages of a passive pre

I did a search for the Baldwin passive but the only thing it threw up was this thread.

http://www.reelaudio.co.uk/PreAmpSetup.shtml

eBay item number:332152789278
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by shire; 18-03-2017 at 13:48. Reason: more info

I'm Neil.

There can also be tonal aberrations, thinness in the mid and some leanness and forwardness as a result of the loss in the mid-range.

Everything in a passive pre including system must be matched carefully, everything balanced all the compromises and technical aspects complimentary to each other. So speakers easy to drive and or power amp easily able to drive them with excess power and drive available. The power amp and passive must be technically a good match and all the cabling not change those parameters either by being too long or being an odd spec that changes the compatibility.

Frankly I have yet (please take note of that) to hear a passive pre that didn't cause some issues and as such I prefer currently active pre amps.

Careful matching is the name of the game.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Whereas I have only encountered one instance of passive incompatibility with a power amp despite trying more than a dozen, of many different topologies, valve and solid state. All passives are not equal, though, which may have some bearing on it. Nevertheless I still maintain that using a high-quality passive pre is the most cost-effective way to increase significantly the sound quality of a system, particularly with digital sources.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Paul.

I'm stunned by my Tisbury.

I can't imagine ever going back to an active pre- or an integrated ...
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Paul.

For me the main thing is short interconnects. Ideally 1m total from source to power amp.

Then you absolutely need sensitive power amps. Old valve amps seem to be ideally suited needing ~1/2V for full output.

And don't worry if you have the dial well over half way for normal listening,
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pgarrish View Post
    For me the main thing is short interconnects. Ideally 1m total from source to power amp.

Then you absolutely need sensitive power amps. Old valve amps seem to be ideally suited needing ~1/2V for full output.

And don't worry if you have the dial well over half way for normal listening,
    I think people tend to be over-cautious where interconnect length is concerned. Of course, it depends on the impedance of the passive pre, but you can usually get away with more than 1m of interconnects if you need to.
    Yes, you're absolutely correct that people shouldn't worry about having the dial over half way for normal listening. Some people get unduly nervous about seeing the volume control set so high, but it's not really a problem at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast